VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TLS_Vigra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all.

I recently got the original Sega Rally. It's great 🤣... But there's a few issues.

The 'Link Game' is nonsense. First off, read what the help says:

This is an original PC mode for two networked players. […]
Show full quote

This is an original PC mode for two networked players.

NOTE:
Each player needs a copy of the software to play the game. The only mode that can be selected for a networked game is Link Game Mode.

NOTE:
During LINK GAME play, the only function that can be selected from the menu bar is EXIT GAME [Alt+F4]. Please make any selections or changes in the menu before entering LINK GAME mode.

Link Game Mode
In this mode you choose either WAITING FOR OPPONENT or REQUESTING OPPONENT.

WAITING FOR OPPONENT

1) Start the game, then press the [F9] key or select LINK GAME from the Mode Select screen to open the LINK GAME window. (You can select CANCEL at this point to return to a normal game.)
2) Select the type of game play connection from TYPE OF GAME. These are the types of connections you can select:

* IPX Connection for Direct Play:

Select this to play in an SPX/IPX compatible LAN. (Requires an SPX/IPX compatible LAN environment.)

* Internet TCP/IP Connection for Direct Play:

Select this to play in a TCP/IP compatible LAN. (Requires a TCP/IP compatible LAN environment.) You should arrange the exact time that you will contact your opponent's modem in advance.

* Modem Connection for Direct Play:

Select this to play over telephone lines using a modem. You need a modem compatible with Windows 95 with a speed of at least 9600 bps and ideally over 14400 bps. You should arrange the exact time that you will contact your opponent's modem in advance.

* Serial Connection for Direct Play

Select this to play using the serial port to directly connect PC's. You need a serial connection cable to establish a direct connection between PC's.

3) When you select Internet TCP/IP Connection for Direct Play, the IP addresses of players requesting opponents are displayed in GAMES CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. Select CANCEL.

4) Input your name into ALIAS. If you have previously inputted a name, you do not need to input it again.
5) The names of players requesting opponents are displayed in GAMES CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. Select WAITING FOR PLAYER TO JOIN GAME. If using a modem select DIAL A NEW NUMBER.
6) Click on OK.

7) The WAITING window opens, and your computer starts trying to contact your opponent's computer.

😎 When the connection is made, your opponent's name appears in the WAITING window. If the connection fails, click on CANCEL.
9) Click on OK to start playing. (In this case you are Player 1.) Click on CANCEL to return to the LINK GAME window.

Ok, fine... Well, how about telling me the truth?

First off, there is no option to choose 'In this mode you choose either WAITING FOR OPPONENT or REQUESTING OPPONENT.' - lies.

It goes strait into 'serial connection.' Which DOES NOT WORK.

Sorry to rant, I've had a few bad days in a row. It comes to a point where I just want things to work. Especially if the games own help manual tells 100% lies.

Reply 1 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Multiplayer seem to be the top issue people experience with modern OSes running older games. Even when I changed from win95 to win98 I experienced myself a few of those. I'm using windows xp and exactly the same happened to me in Sega Rally. I remember seeing custom DirectPlay fixes in ACT 5.0, maybe this would help.
I'm as pissed off as you are, but with my Geforce 8800 GTX. It has so many glitches which makes some older games impossible to play, or not run at all.
Best Regards,
Filipe Tolhuizen

Reply 2 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about this, me and my mate only played Sega Rally Championship split screen...

Although as the arcade version is being emulated soon with some sort of network mode you might not want to bother with the PC version...!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 Player split screen and link game are different selectable options in the game menu.
Now I'm really interesting in getting the arcade version running within my PC. How can I do this? I'm really interesting in running other SEGA titles arcade versions too.

Reply 6 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bear in mind Sega Rally is broken at the moment; rival cars move slowly an unless you input the cheat on the car select screen (hold view and shift 1-2-3-4 for a whoosh sound) then the accelarator won't work! But the next version fixes all those things whenever it is ready...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor