VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running Outcast on Win98 - all works well except if I select 3D sound, I don't get any sound effects (such as footsteps, firing weapon, etc). I get every other type of sound OK. EAX works fine too. (I'm assuming the SB live! is capable of 3D sounds.)

I ran dxdiag and ran all sound tests - all ok. (I wonder if there's a Creative utility whereby I can test 3D sound - I'll take a look ASAP.)

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 5, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for multiple post so soon; I ran some Creative demos to test out 3D effects, and all seemed fine. Strange how Outcast appears not to work correctly with its 3D sound setting option.

(I tried running Outcast on a more modern XP machine with X-Fi and the 3D sound worked great, although I had other well-known non-sound related problems which I won't go in to here.)

Reply 4 of 5, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I DL'd 2 Creative software updates on the net, one was SBLive for 95, the other seemed to be a live/audigy pack - that didn't install b/c it was for OSs > than '98.

The sblive 95 pack however installed, and I think I now have it working b/c I am able to get the sound effects louder than the music - in other words, I think the sblive mixer has been fixed, which incidentally is mentioned in the update I DL'd.

However I am still unable to get 3D sound to work. Nevermind, it isn't crucial, and I'm enjoying the game a lot despite this minor problem.

Reply 5 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB Live! is very buggy under all OSes. I had problems in both win98 and winxp and I heard people also have problems under Mac OS 8/9. In my opinion Creative Labs didn't spend much time making decent drivers for it as they stopped so soon and there were many serious issues left.