VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eniwetok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The version of The 7th Guest I have contains the original game files as ISOs but also some additional files. I'm under the assumption that it was originally a MS-DOS game and Trilobyte made some attempt to make it work with WIN95... 98... and even NT. Here's what the notes say:

Beta player for The 7th Guest for Windows 95/98/NT […]
Show full quote

Beta player for The 7th Guest for Windows 95/98/NT

The files included are:
N_CRED01.VDX
N_CRED02.VDX
N_CRED03.VDX
N_CRED04.VDX
TRILOGO.VDX (optional)
Vielogo.vdx (optional)
mss32.dll
v32tng.exe

To install:

* Extract the files to your 7th Guest directory
* Run v32tng.exe

Note: To toggle between windowed/full screen modes
press both the ALT key and ENTER key at the same time
and release (ALT-ENTER).

DISCLAIMER: The DirectX player for the 7th Guest is a beta version, and
thus should be used at your own risk. Trilobyte makes no claim or
warranty to said program. It is not the full version of the game; the
original version is required to play.

If you are experiencing problems with the DirectX player, please send an
email, with details about where the game is installed, what kind of machine
you have (Processor, Memory, Operating System (Windows95/98/NT), etc...), and as complete of a description of what happened as you can, to
directx@tbyte.com.

My question is with these later releases of the game can I bypass DOSBOX in installing the main game? Was there a way to do so using Windows? Or do I still need DOSBOX for ALL versions of 7th Guest... and this Beta Player is only an option for playing an already installed game?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be best if you could find at least a few people who have played the game to completion with the beta player. You don't want to be halfway through the game and hit a bug.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by jinx2131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did anybody ever reach completion? And can the music be heard (CCA tracks I guess? ) if you mount the CD's (I like putting the games on my laptop)...or is it the same as running it in DOSBox?

Reply 3 of 5, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two versions of the 7th Guest; the first is the original release of the game and it supports only DOS. Installation is a bit of a pain in DOSBox as the installation routine is on the second of two CDs (do a search on the forums, as you can work around this).

The second version of 7th Guest I have was the later release designed for Windows 95, and I have used the beta player you have mentioned above to run the game; it runs on my Windows XP, in Windows, with no problems.

Reply 4 of 5, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this newerish version as well. It has the beta Windows exe. The exe crashes shortly after the intro, but it plays the music. When I try it in DOS it plays the game without any crashing, but the intro music does not play. This happens no matter how I configure the CD drive in DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 5, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have played the DOS version of the game using the WinXP patch of Trylobyte.It works fine. All you have to do is install normally the game with DOSBox.Then apply in the created game folder the patch files.
Set the the compatibility of v32tng in Windows 95 mode.You need to do that in order to get full screen. The game will run fine.You won't even need a slowdown utility.The music plays excellent, no parts are missing.Of course you have to configure the sound settings during the installation with DOSBox. I set the whole thing up and played he game under Windows XP.