VOGONS

Common searches

Super Solvers Gizmos & Gadgets - MIDI/WAV Driver errors on XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear VOGONS Experts,

I just upgraded the old home system (166MHz Win95) to a 2.4GHz XPPro (SP1) system and am having problems getting my child's favorite game to run. The program "Gizmos & Gadgets" is one of The Learning Company's Super Solvers series of games. The CD, which has a copyright of 1993, says that it was design for Win95 and requires a Windows compatible sound device. The program installs fine on the new system, but when I run it, I get the following error message...

The MIDI driver for your sound card could not be found. Make sure that the correct sound card drivers are installed before restarting Gizmos && Gadgets! Consult you sound card's documentation for additional information.

The sound card is a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

I tried this on my work box (P4 2.4GHZ, 1GB RAM, XP Pro (SP1)) with integrated sound and get the same error.

I worked Creative support and they were not able to help and suggested I look for a new version of the software. Well TLC, Broderbun no longer sells or supports this game. So, I'm continuing the investigation.

Note, I have an DOS game that I was able to get to work using the VDMSound (update2) and Launchpad (1.0.1.1). But, I read in one thread that these utils will not affect windows based executables. I noticed the VDMS (musical icon) command does not appear when invoked on this executable. I guess that's a big clue. 😉

So, that's where I am. Seeking help from those who have gone before me. How do I get this sw to run from CD on my XP machine. Another question... just thinking in type... is it possible to copy the CD data to the harddisk and convert it to appear as a DOS executable?

I updated my profile with add'l system information. Please let me know if you need anything else.

jeaton

Reply 1 of 15, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jeaton wrote:

But, I read in one thread that these utils will not affect windows based executables. I noticed the VDMS (musical icon) command does not appear when invoked on this executable. I guess that's a big clue. 😉

Yup, you have the Windows 3.1/9x version on CD.

Another question... just thinking in type... is it possible to copy the CD data to the harddisk and convert it to appear as a DOS executable?

Not possible. However, if you had the DOS version, you MIGHT be able to use the CD Data files with the DOS executable. I don't know.

Anyhow...
First off, originally there was a DOS version. This is easy to find as it was formerly hosted by HOTU before they took it down.

To find it, I recommend going to Google and entering:
"Gizmos & Gadgets" "free games" download
and seeing what happens to turn up, as HOTU no longer hosts it.
(Hey moderators, this is not the address to a abandonwarez site, so is this okay?)
If you don't understand me, I will private-message you.

The original DOS version is easy to get going in a Windows XP NTVDM window (You have to use the switch -gv for VGA graphics adjustments) and then configure the sound as you like. It should work fine with VDMSound. It also worked absolutely flawless (well, I played the intro fine) in DOSBox (http://dosbox.sf.net) Note that the only DOS version "out there" is version 1.0, and may or may not be different to your version.
Anyhow, with the DOS version, read the README as you will need to use the command-line switches to configure sound as well. (Alternately, you can edit your SSG.BAT file.)

Secondly, I have no idea where to begin with your Windows version. It was apparently made for Windows 3.1/9x - so maybe you can go to the directory in which it is installed, right click on the executable and choose the Compatibility tab, selecting Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95, Run in 256 colors and Run in 640x480 resolution. See if that helps.
Also, this is what Broderbund's tech. support says about your error message:
http://support.broderbund.com/fix.asp?isid=1868&prog=502
I doubt this will help you, but give it a shot.
Maybe NichtSehrGut has some ideas...

Thirdly, if you still have the CD, you can try installing a Macintosh emulator, like Basilisk II, installing the MacOS, etc. and then installing and running the Macintosh version. The CD should have both versions on it. See other posts on VOGONS for details on how to do this.

If you have the Network version of the Windows version (in other words the version for educators), I really don't know...

Broderbund support links:
Super Solvers™ Gizmos & Gadgets!™
http://support.broderbund.com/faq_list.asp?id=502

Super Solvers™ Gizmos & Gadgets!™ (Version 1.2)
http://support.broderbund.com/faq_list.asp?id=1294820304

Super Solvers™ Gizmos & Gadgets!™ (Network)
http://support.broderbund.com/faq_list.asp?id=1294818563

Hope this helps...

Reply 2 of 15, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Schadenfreude for the reply.

I did find what must be a dos version on the web and it works fine with VDMSound. I should have mentioned that in my original post, but I was/am interested in getting the Win - CD version running.

Regarding "abandonware", I had seen that when doing searches; and in fact was how I found and downloaded the dos version. I take it from your question in parens that it is taboo here? Is it illegal? I'm not up on this stuff. If it is illegal, then I will remove it and continue my quest for a solution.

Regarding compatibility modes ... I tried them and still get the same error message. I'd also viewed the Broderbund support links. Sorry, should have included this in my original post too. Though now that I revisited the G&G version1.2 link you supplied below, I may call Broderbund and see if they will sell the 1.2 version that lists XP support. I guess I'll just pay the piper for a newer version if it is available. If nothing else works, I'll give your MAC emulator solution a try.

Thanks again for your tips and suggestions...

Reply 3 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude (Hey moderators, this is not the address to a abandonwarez site, so is this okay?)

We're riding the edge of the law on that. Just don't go into too much of a detailed guide.

It was apparently made for Windows 3.1/9x - so maybe you can go to the directory in which it is installed, right click on the executable and choose the Compatibility tab, selecting Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95, Run in 256 colors and Run in 640x480 resolution. See if that helps.

That's what I was going to suggest.

this is what Broderbund's tech. support says about your error message: I doubt this will help you, but give it a shot. Maybe Ni […]
Show full quote

this is what Broderbund's tech. support says about your error message:

I doubt this will help you, but give it a shot.
Maybe NichtSehrGut has some ideas...

Not exactly clear is it? I do recall a few older programs didn't like my "Yamaha XG" wavetable. DosBox refused to use MIDI until I switched it back to Microsoft's GS Wavetable. I will check to see if I have this program (I've been collecting other Learning Company titles for my nephew).

Originally posted by jeaton I should have mentioned that in my original post, but I was/am interested in getting the Win - CD version running.

We got that. Schadenfreude was just trying to give you an alternative until we can find an answer for the Windows version (presuming it can be done).

I take it from your question in parens that it is taboo here?

Well, consider that the fellow from Back 2 the Roots had his site temporarily shut down by the IDSA (without prior notification). He actually has permission for distribution of the files on his board, yet they shut it down based on suspicion alone. IOW, we don't need that kind of attention.

Is it illegal?

Yes...No...Maybe
Some titles like "The Ardennes Offensive" or "Betrayl at Krondor" are freely distributable. Some are specifically protected by the IDSA. Some have one version that's freely distributable, with another version that's still fully copyrighted ("Betrayl at Krondor" floppy vs "Betrayl at Krondor" CD).

Others are in limbo. Nobody actually knows who's the actual owner. Sometimes that's because it's creator went out-of-business or because there were multiple groups involved who shared in the ownership, but no longer work with each other.

Underdogs seems to be the most reasonable. They block any titles specifically protected by the IDSA or if they are confirmed available for sale (somewhere). For all other titles they state they will remove any titles where someone claims their copyright on the title.

Clear as Mud, Eh?

If nothing else works, I'll give your MAC emulator solution a try.

I find this handy for some older titles. Especially those that insist on doing things like installing version 2 of QuickTime in XP (which is a very bad thing).

showthread.php?threadid=523

showthread.php?threadid=492

showthread.php?threadid=524

Reply 4 of 15, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jeaton wrote:

Thanks Schadenfreude for the reply.

No problem.

I should have mentioned that in my original post, but I was/am interested in getting the Win - CD version running.

Okay. Any particular reason? Not that it matters...
The DOS version runs fine as I said...
Me, I'm in it for the challenge. Win3.1 on WinXP is HARD to do sometimes. Of course, I don't own the game.

Regarding "abandonware", I had seen that when doing searches; and in fact was how I found and downloaded the dos version. I take it from your question in parens that it is taboo here?

From the bottom of the page:
"This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.
zetafleet.dom will not be held responsible for users' posts.
This disclaimer is brought to you thanks to the BSA."

Still mostly true, too.

Anyhow, VOGONS tries to support the abandonware "scene" while not being OF the scene.

Is it illegal? I'm not up on this stuff. If it is illegal, then I will remove it and continue my quest for a solution.

It's as illegal as MP3s, even more so I believe.

IMHO if you own the game you should have the right to freely keep a backup copy on whatever media you choose, HD or otherwise. Sharing that copy with others is practically internationally a legal violation. And copy-protection's been built into certain software for YEARS to stop you from freely making that backup copy. "Don't Copy That Floppy!"

Now, abandonwarez in particular? This is a 1993 game - only 10 years old. And it's still selling on CDAccess and places. Hm. I wouldn't consider it Abandoned yet.

OTOH, IMHO you own the game and theoretically any other identical versions of the game from the same manufacturer should be yours to own or obtain upon request. But the law doesn't see it that way. (at least US law).

SO... illegal. Yes. Unless you get permission from the parties involved to host the game on a website and have other people download it, it's all illegal.

Regarding compatibility modes ... I tried them and still get the same error message. I'd also viewed the Broderbund support links. Sorry, should have included this in my original post too.

That's too bad. Maybe something can be done with the Application Compatibility Toolkit or QFixApp or something.

Though now that I revisited the G&G version1.2 link you supplied below, I may call Broderbund and see if they will sell the 1.2 version that lists XP support.

Heh, I didn't even read that. Heck, there might be new levels in it too or something. See if you can ask them what else changed in between version 1.0 and 1.2. This is kinda interesting now.

Hm, they might not sell it anymore, but they should be able to tell you what distributor of theirs still carries that particular version. But take that info there with a grain of salt, I don't totally trust it.

In particular, if you registered the game by sending in the warranty card, maybe they can exchange the game or something. At least they'd know you actually own the game. It would likely be out of warranty anyhow. (Yes, companies actually do this: once upon a time, Accolade sent me a new 3.5" disk for Grand Prix Unlimited when I thought the original disk was hosed upon arrival. Different problem, though.)

I guess I'll just pay the piper for a newer version if it is available.

Let us know how you make out. This is definitely the best option, but as I said, IMHO you shouldn't have to pay for something like this. OTOH, the programmers worked hard to port the game to the new OS. I'm torn on the issue.

Maybe there's an upgrade they will send you for free!
(Knowing Broderbund, I find this unlikely.)

If nothing else works, I'll give your MAC emulator solution a try.

That is likely to work, but I haven't tried it as I don't own the game. Nicht?

Hey, it's what we do here. 😀

-----------------------------

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut We're riding the edge of the law on that. Just don't go into too much of a detailed guide.

Okay, well, Google's results could change in a week or two. All is impermanence. 😁

I will check to see if I have this program (I've been collecting other Learning Company titles for my nephew).

Your predilection for edutainment games is duly noted:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=177
And Mario Teaches Typing 2, and Mickey's ABC's and 123's, and...
😁

But it would be appreciated anyhow...

Well, consider that the fellow from Back 2 the Roots had his site temporarily shut down by the IDSA (without prior notification). He actually has permission for distribution of the files on his board, yet they shut it down based on suspicion alone. IOW, we don't need that kind of attention.

The IDSA uses search-bots to find sites that might be hosting a game which is somehow related to a game they protect, even if it is MANY generations behind or not related at all.
See:
http://www.google.com/search?q=IDSA+%22produc … ilter=0&num=100
And they don't double-check, or differentiate between, say, artwork reproductions and ROMs... or research... irritating bastards.

I'll amend your phrase to "they shut it down based on their computers' suspicions alone. Human suspicion need not apply."

Here's their website:
http://www.idsa.com/

But you answered the "is it illegal?" question better than I.

And your MAC emulation links will be helpful if it comes to it.
You did beautiful work there. Keep it up, when you have time.

Reply 5 of 15, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Schadenfreude, Nicht Sehr Gut,

Thanks for the information regarding "abandonware". I agree with you... If it's still for sale then it's not abandoned.

Regarding Broderbund and G&G v1.2... I've contacted them via email support, but have not heard back from them yet, except for the standard, "thank you, we received your email" message. As soon as I hear back from them I will let you know.

Not exactly clear is it? I do recall a few older programs didn't like my "Yamaha XG" wavetable. DosBox refused to use MIDI until I switched it back to Microsoft's GS Wavetable. I will check to see if I have this program (I've been collecting other Learning Company titles for my nephew).

I now have two V1.12 versions of G&G on CD. I would be glad to send one of them to you to work with if you like. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your help!

jeaton

Reply 6 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Okay. Any particular reason? Not that it matters...

Probably because that's what "the young one" wants.

It's as illegal as MP3s, even more so I believe.

*Buzzzz*
Schadenfreude, I can't believe you posted such a generalization. I have a huge number of quite legal MP3's.

IMHO if you own the game you should have the right to freely keep a backup copy on whatever media you choose, HD or otherwise.

This seems to depend on local law.

When I was in the U.K., their law stated you were only permitted to make a backup if you were specifically authorized. They did, however, require that the author/company support you if the original went bad: usually you would send them your bad disk and they would send you a replacement at minimal (or no) cost.

In the U.S. you were specifically authorized to make backup copies of your software (up to 3, I believe) for archival purposes. A good thing, considering getting replacement disks would cost you real cash.

Of course, these kinds of laws seem to always to be in a state of flux and may have changed by now.

Now, abandonwarez in particular? This is a 1993 game - only 10 years old. And it's still selling on CDAccess and places. Hm. I wouldn't consider it Abandoned yet.

In terms of support, it is. In terms of the law, there's no such thing as abandonware.

OTOH, IMHO you own the game and theoretically any other identical versions of the game from the same manufacturer should be yours to own or obtain upon request. But the law doesn't see it that way. (at least US law).

Right. This is why copyright law needs to be changed. It was originally meant to save an artist/company from being robbed of revenue by people producing "knock-off" copies of their work (which is perfectly understandable).

It was expanded to cover the theoretical loss of revenue by you making a copy to loan to a friend (understandable...but not perfectly. They could still lose the same revenue by you loaning the original software to a friend using this theory).

Unfortunately, it's now being interpreted now that any unauthorized usage is a violation of copyright. In the strictest terms that means if my nephew draws a picture of Mickey Mouse, he is violating a copyright of Walt Disney. Some software not only declares that you don't actually own it (you're simply authorized to use it), but that you are forbidden to modify it in any way and that they may demand that you stop using their software and remove it from your system at any time.

While it's not likely that you'll receive an email demanding that all Learning Company software must be removed from your system or that "Disney Police" are going to be kicking the door in and hauling my nephew off to jail anytime soon...technically, it's possible.

I understand why they did this. Broad, sweeping law allows them to go after fools and malcontents who may do "really bad things" that might not have been imagined yet. Blizzard, for example, had to change some "Diablo II" game code because of the huge amount of cheating on their multi-player servers for "Diablo II".

Without "full control" of the software, the cheaters might have had legal claim to demand support for the original code...demanding the code not be changed so that cheaters could continue to ruin the game for everyone else.

As it stands, most people are in violation of copyright law on a regular basis...it's just that companies won't come after you as you aren't really a threat. It does however create headaches for users though.

People who have "Wing Commander III" for DOS may find they can no longer properly run it when they make the transition to XP. An easy solution would be to use the Windows version. Unfortunately the only way to do that now is to track down the "Kilrathi Saga" collection which has the Windows version of WC I, II, and III. Since few were made and Origin has abandoned all non-online games, it's hard-to-find and expensive if you do find it. They could easily release a patch to make WC III into a XP-compatible Windows version (even charging a small fee to cover expenses), but they simply won't.

That's basically where we are on Abandonware...a stinky mass of copyrights and compatibility conflicts. Technically, a company could declare that you aren't allowed to run their program on XP.

Heck, there might be new levels in it too or something.

I wouldn't count on it. Probably the only change was to stop using MCI devices in Windows. That seems to be the problem here, MCI support in XP is basically non-existent.

OTOH, the programmers worked hard to port the game to the new OS.

I doubt that. They probably just made it more compatible for non-256 color displays and replaced bits of 16Bit Windows code with 32Bit code. A small charge for an upgrade should be the most you have to pay.

That is likely to work, but I haven't tried it as I don't own the game. Nicht?

I happened to stumble across my own copy in my car's trunk (As usual, I only find things when I'm not looking for them). It's v1.01 hybrid CD (Windows/Mac) and works fine in Basilisk II. Sound Effects, Music, everything I found.

Hey, it's what we do here.

Yeah. That's why they pay us the "big bucks".

Err...wait a minute...

[B] […]
Show full quote

[B]

Your predilection for edutainment games is duly noted:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=177
And Mario Teaches Typing 2, and Mickey's ABC's and 123's, and...

Yes, those were the days where you could get well-known characters on your computers without going through insane licensing restrictions. Nowadays, getting Mario into a PC program would probably require that you offer up your first-born as a sacrifice to Nintendo.
[B]

The IDSA uses search-bots to find sites that might be hosting a game which is somehow related to a game they protect, even if it is MANY generations behind or not related at all.

For which, they themselves deserve to be sued.

Reply 7 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jeaton I now have two V1.12 versions of G&G on CD.

Thanks, but as I said, I found mine. It might be possible (this is theory) to get the MCI device for MIDI working by playing round with some system INI files. But considering the potential hazards and unlikely success, I'd advise against it.

Below is an image from Gizmos & Gadgets running in Basilisk II:

Attachments

• gizmosonmac.gif
    Filename
    gizmosonmac.gif
    File size
    44.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 15, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I happened to stumble across my own copy in my car's trunk (As usual, I only find things when I'm not looking for them). It's v1.01 hybrid CD (Windows/Mac) and works fine in Basilisk II. Sound Effects, Music, everything I found.

I'm glad you were able to get G&G running. I will have to look into this BasiliskII utility as I'm not familiar with it.

Well, I received a reply from Broderbund Support.

The have upgraded G&G to run on XP! However, they only offer it in a bundle. Here's the info...

We have updated Super Solvers® Gizmos & Gadgets to be compatible with Windows XP and have included it in the Adventure Workshop package. Along with this program there is ClueFinders Reading Adventures, and Carmen Sandiego Word Detective. This package retails for $19.99 plus shipping and handling.

Super Solvers® Gizmos & Gadgets is not available as a download, it is available in the Adventure Workshop only.

Off to do a search on Basilisk II.

Reply 9 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jeaton I'm glad you were able to get G&G running. I will have to look into this BasiliskII utility as I'm not familiar with it.

It's a Mac II (Color) Emulator. Have to warn you that the initial setup is a pain as it's the same as installing a MacOS on an unformatted MacII.

There's a special Mac disk I used to make it easier to start up. I'll check to see if I can find it again.

The have upgraded G&G to run on XP! However, they only offer it in a bundle. Here's the info...

As I figured. Gotta buy the whole pack just to get what you already have to run properly.

Off to do a search on Basilisk II.

I hope you haven't misunderstood. It's not just a utility, it's emulating an entire other Computer system. So, it's not a two-step process. Once it's setup however, it allows for running some very nice, "classic" Mac titles.

Reply 15 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*LOCKED*.

And bubbagumper6, you are not welcome here any more.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions