VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jimendrix2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a copy of RISK for PC and am trying to get it working for a friend, but it seems to specifically require windows 95 to run. I have searched this forum a couple of times but do not remember finding any definitive answer on whether windows 95 can be loaded or emulated in some way on a machine running XP.

Sometimes it takes a lot of sifting through garbage to come up with an answer in forums (not just vogons). I tried to include both the game and the desired platform in the title line. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't say I recall ever hearing about a Windows game that would run under Windows 95 but not Windows 98, and even Windows games that run under Windows 95 but completely refuse under any circumstances to run under XP seem to be somewhat uncommon. (DOS games are a different matter.)

But anyway, if you're sure that Windows 95 is absolutely necessary (and what led you to that conclusion, anyway?), the easiest way to go would be Virtual PC, which can be freely downloaded from Microsoft. Alternatives include VMware and VirtualBox, but Virtual PC is possibly the most user-friendly. You will still need an actual copy of Windows 95 to use with Virtual PC, though.

Reply 3 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently bought two copies of Windows 95 from ebay quite cheaply. Both were new/shrink-wrapped, although when I opened one copy, it was obvious it had been used by someone before as the CD jewel case seal was completely torn open! Still, they both worked perfectly. And it was fun to use Windows 95 again after all these years! 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't say I recall ever hearing about a Windows game that would run under Windows 95 but not Windows 98

USNF '97 without the 1.4 patch would not run in windows 98.

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oooo, someone else who plays Dogz.

Yeah, I like playing Dogz.....wanna fightaboutit?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline