VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Again VOGONS Experts,

I'm back with another Edutainment software issue. I bought TLC's School House Rock 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th grades. This sw is made for Win98,95,3.1 and Mac.

I'm trying to get this to run in WinXPP(SP1). The sw installs successfully and invokes okay with graphics and sound, but after the introduction screen gives way to a sign-in page a script error is issued...

Script error: Handler not defined

#FileIO

I've tried all the compatibility settings to no avail.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get these programs to run successfully?

Thanks,

jeaton

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jeaton I'm back with another Edutainment software issue. I bought TLC's School House Rock 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th grades. This sw is made for Win98,95,3.1 and Mac.

Well, I don't have that, but I do have "School House Rock: America Rock" which appears to be using the same "engine".

I'm trying to get this to run in WinXPP(SP1). The sw installs successfully and invokes okay with graphics and sound, but after the introduction screen gives way to a sign-in page a script error is issued...

It doesn't look good. If it's anything like mine, you get "quit" and "continue" options, but attempting to continue simply leads to more errors.

These are serious errors, as they relate to the engine that controls all the action within the program (IOW, it doesn't mean part of the program won't work right, it means nothing will work right).

Looks like you have 3 basic options:
1) Contact TLC for a patch or an upgrade to a more recent version that's compatible with XP.
2) Set up a dual-boot with Windows 9x and run it from there.
3) Run the Mac version within an Emulator like Basilisk II

I couldn't find any information about a patch. Odds are, Broderbund (The Learning Company) did the same thing they did with "Gizmos and Gadgets": they changed needed code and re-released the program as a new version.

Attached an image of "America Rock" running in Basilisk II:

Attachments

• americarocks.gif
    Filename
    americarocks.gif
    File size
    90.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by jeaton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks NSG.

It doesn't look good. If it's anything like mine, you get "quit" and "continue" options, but attempting to continue simply leads to more errors.

These are serious errors, as they relate to the engine that controls all the action within the program (IOW, it doesn't mean part of the program won't work right, it means nothing will work right).

You are exactly right. I'm seeing the Quit/Continue options and it just goes down hill. 🙁

Looks like you have 3 basic options: 1) Contact TLC for a patch or an upgrade to a more recent version that's compatible with XP […]
Show full quote

Looks like you have 3 basic options:
1) Contact TLC for a patch or an upgrade to a more recent version that's compatible with XP.
2) Set up a dual-boot with Windows 9x and run it from there.
3) Run the Mac version within an Emulator like Basilisk II

1. Unlike the G&G game, Broderbund does not have an update available (even in a bundle).
2. and 3. I'm giving more and more consideration to these, but wonder how much time and effort these games are worth. It's rather exasperating!

I may look into turning my machine into a dual boot machine. Not sure what's involved here.

Another alternative is to use an older (333MHz) machine and buy a KVM switch box to switch between the machines.

I appreciate your input and advice!

jeaton

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jeaton 1. Unlike the G&G game, Broderbund does not have an update available (even in a bundle).

Unfortunate. Keep an eye out for "re-releases". Sometimes they will tweak a few items to get a title running on a modern PC for the purpose of a re-release.

2. and 3. I'm giving more and more consideration to these, but wonder how much time and effort these games are worth. It's rather exasperating!

Well, you could always give up and buy all-new stuff. That's what these companies hope you do. *heh*

I may look into turning my machine into a dual boot machine. Not sure what's involved here.

A dual-boot is the best of both worlds. If a title refuses to work in XP, the odds are good that a reboot into Win98 will let it run. Just know that setting up a dual-boot after XP is already installed is a major pain. If the installer really knows what they're doing it can be set up within an hour. If they don't know what they are doing they could hose their OS, and that would involve a lot of crying.

Another alternative is to use an older (333MHz) machine and buy a KVM switch box to switch between the machines.

True. It also helps for titles that are "speed-sensitive". Whatever works best for you.