VOGONS

Common searches

KKND on XP?

Topic actions

First post, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have problem running KKND on win XP. I cant install it. Are there any program for that?

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 Did you find it? Do you know how to run it?

No, and no. Been very busy, If I find it, I will reply here. Is the original KKND (DOS)? or the KKND Extreme (Windows) version you are running?

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found my KKND CD.

*refrains from long stream of obscenities*

It's been a while since I've found a game that worked so hard at making me hate it. The installer for this thing is an abomination. Like a few other titles, it not only "encourages" you to install UniVBE, but forces you to choose at the very first step. That, of course, is where it hangs. What you choose is irrelevant.

Even in "real" DOS it bombs out with a "granular error". Fortunately, it installed properly from a command prompt within Win98. Even then it was a pain. Changing sound card settings required running the installer from the CD each time, and it refused to let me use "No sound card" even though it was an option. Editing the .CFG file it creates would help, but of course, it's not documented. Also, I have no idea where it's storing the audio settings (they don't appear to exist in the game directory).

*woof*

No wonder they released a Win95 version within the year it was released. The weird part is why did EA choose the non-enhanced, bug-filled DOS version for their "EA Gold" catalog?

Going to have to keep an eye out for the Win95 version (KKND Extreme). Even if it's basically the same, the Win95 version would be worth it just to not have to hassle with UniVBE.

BTW, it will work under VirtualPC, but like many other RTS titles, audio will break up and performance will tank when the screen "gets busy".

Reply 6 of 7, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Found my KKND CD. […]
Show full quote

Found my KKND CD.

*refrains from long stream of obscenities*

It's been a while......

BTW, it will work under VirtualPC, but like many other RTS titles, audio will break up and performance will tank when the screen "gets busy".

Yeah, i saw that when i was going to play the game . The sound was okay, but not the game performance. 🙄 I almost thought that my computer was an old 286...it was laggy 😠

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Editing the .CFG file it creates would help, but of course, it's not documented. Also, I have no idea where it's storing the audio settings (they don't appear to exist in the game directory).

Think I found the answer as to where it's storing audio data. KKND is one of the naughty programs that dumps configuration files into the root of the C:\ drive.

Unlike those other naughty games though, KKND dumps all of these:
File 'C:\Autoexec.org' added.
File 'C:\Autoexec.osi' added.
File 'C:\Config.org' added.
File 'C:\Config.osi' added.
File 'C:\Killpath.bat' added.
File 'C:\Kknd.cfg' added.
File 'C:\Kknd.mem' added.
File 'C:\Runkknd.bat' added.
File 'C:\Thevoice.cfg' added.

Very messy and mostly pointless as a lot of the info is just copies of info from my autoexec.bat and config.sys files.