VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Grzech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, thief2's quite an old game allright. problem was i upgraded my pc dramatically while playing and game got unplayable because of speed. (i upgraded from 1ghz duron gf2MX to barton 2500+ gf4)i tried to run thief2.exe via vdmsound and adjust cpu speed, but it didn't work as it is windows app. so i installed cpukiller. what i discovered was that it was enough to set it to slow down cpu by 4% to get the game run normally. i mean, game was running about twice normal speed, internal game clock (savegames are time-stamped with mission time) was runnig too fast. slowing down cpu with cpukiller by mere 4% solved the problem! isn't this strange?

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swiped from NT Compatible:

Windows XP
1) Launches but then quits immediately
2) Does not work right after installation, must reboot first. Does not require compatibility mode

Windows 2000
Thief 2, the UNPATCHED version 1.07 runs fine with win2k. I tried to patch it to v1.18 and after that the game was not able to read the CD-ROM anymore !

Thief 2 demo works great under W2K

Received the follow messages:
1) Game works fine under win2k. The only pain is to download the 33MB patch. http://www.lglass.com/cs/thief2/index.html
2) It runs fine and smooth on my banshee in Win2k (even without any patch)
3) Enabling EAX with a Soundblaster Live with Liveware 3.0 will crash the game. The only workaround right now is to disable EAX support. Creative claims this is a bug with the Thief 2 code, and the publisher will not fix it (unsupported game under W2K)