VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing the "Journeyman project turbo!" game.

It requires this type of display - 256 colors, 640x480 display. I set my graphics card (S3 chipset-based) to have these properties. When I run the game, the graphics look grainy and poorly defined.

I watch a "You Tube" web posting of this game, and the graphics look better - sharper, clearer, better colors, and not grainy-looking.

Do you know why this game looks poor on my rig?

I am using an LCD, Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro, Windows 98, and I am also running Sci-Tech's Display Doctor.

Thank you, best regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I changed the 256 colors desktop to 16-bit, but the game complained that this color depth was not the one that it wanted. (I ran the game in 16-bit, but it didn't help the situation.) I also double-checked the manual, and it definitely says that it wants 256 colors.

Thanks for the suggestion though. This is a mystery that I would really like to solve, because I've noticed this on another game too - "Dive, conquest of silver eye". That game looked really grainy, definitely some kind of (similar) display problem there too.

Reply 3 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diamond drivers that comes with your card are usually buggy. Try getting a newer one from their older archieve or trying a S3 driver instead (your card has a S3 Virge DX GPU)

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

It requires this type of display - 256 colors, 640x480 display. I set my graphics card (S3 chipset-based) to have these properties. When I run the game, the graphics look grainy and poorly defined.

Welcome to the world of 8-bit color! If it requires 256 colors, it'll not look better than that. What you see is what you get.

retro games 100 wrote:

I watch a "You Tube" web posting of this game, and the graphics look better - sharper, clearer, better colors, and not grainy-looking.

It's resampled down, you don't see the individual dithering pixels there

apsosig.png
long live PCem