VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to get heart of darkness running on xp? Interplay says that it isn't compatible but maybe there's a patch?

Reply 2 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marko Is there a way to get heart of darkness running on xp? Interplay says that it isn't compatible but maybe there's a patch?

Since any official patch would probably be from Interplay, I wouldn't count on that.

I can find little info on this. NT Compatible has two entries on it:
The first is for the Ocean version running on NT 4.0, it claims success with no detailed info.

The second claims failure for the Interplay version running on Windows 2000.

I did find one reference stating that it's copy-protection wasn't compatible with XP. There is apparently a "No-CD" hack/patch that allows it run without the CD (or it's movies), but it's for the Italian version. No idea if it would work with other versions.

If/when I can find my own, I'll give it a whirl.

Reply 3 of 6, by Marko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YESSS!

It was the copy protection which prevented me to play my own game. So I've cracked it with a patch from gamecopyworld.com and still have all the videos - some little graphic bugs but it runs.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marko It was the copy protection which prevented me to play my own game. ...still have all the videos

So apparently the Italian hack will work with the English version and videos will still play if you leave the CD in the drive.

... some little graphic bugs but it runs.

By the way, can we presume you have the Interplay version? I'm guessing that between Ocean and Interplay, Interplay is the one that would implement "heavy-duty" protection.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marko I have the german version from ocean.

Oops. Ok, so the Italian hack works with Ocean version from Germany.

BTW: Tested atlantis 2 has the same copy protection not running on xp problem...

Odd. I spotted a DVD version that was advertised as XP-Compatible.
http://www.pearl.de/p/RK2955-Atlantis_2_DVD_Version.html