VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just purchased the newest 2 CD version of The Feeble Files (knowing that it wasn't XP compatible, but I thought I might as well get it shipped in with the Simon the Sorcerer pack I was getting) and I'm wondering if anyone has got it working in Windows XP. The default settings for VDMSound don't work and I suspect it wasn't made for DOS anyway. I've tried the compatibility settings also but to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reply 1 of 9, by kleptonin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read that someone wrote to Adventure Soft, the creators, and they replied saying it was a Windows 95/98 native game, and just wouldn't run on XP.

I haven't had any luck with it, either, sorry.

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least one person claims to have it running without doing anything special:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie= … %3DN%26tab%3Dwg

If I were to hazard a guess, I think this may be one of those titles that may run for a lucky few, but nobody else.

Since it's a Windows title (and, I presume, not action-oriented), you might have success using something like "Virtual PC" or VMware (running Win95 or 98).

These emulators/virtualizers run very few games well, but adventure or turn-based games seem to work best.

Reply 4 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is an old thread but I've just got The Feeble Files running under MS Virtual PC 2004. It seemed to work OK (intro was running but skipping) but I had black screen when the game started. I solved that by copying all files from the CD onto the hard drive and editing the shortcut details. All works OK now though I haven't got to a CD changeover point yet 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by RDP837

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I've tried that using the Trial Version of Virtual PC 2004 & Win98 and still can't get past the black screen.
I copied the contents of both CDs to the default installation directory and altered the shortcut to read "C:\Program Files\AdventureSoft (UK) Ltd\The Feeble Files\Run95.exe" game22 C:\Program Files\AdventureSoft (UK) Ltd\The Feeble Files but I still can't get past the black screen, I wouldn't mind but I get to the same black screen when I run it thru WinXP 🙁

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply 6 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My shortcut has quotes around the path bit, so:

"C:\Program Files\AdventureSoft (UK) Ltd\The Feeble Files\Run95.exe" game22 "C:\Program Files\AdventureSoft (UK) Ltd\The Feeble Files"

Hope that does the trick!

Reply 7 of 9, by RDP837

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry still a black screen.
I've tried it with and without quotation marks on the data file directory, with and without a final \ and I've tried copying the data to a directory that does not have any spaces in its path (with/without quotation marks & final slash).

Which version of the game are you using? I've got the later 2 disc version. I think the 2 and 4 disc versions differed in the video compression & this may account for the blank screen, though I may be completely wrong on this.

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Reply 8 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked... my shortcut has a final slash on it.

What configuration did you give the VPC session. I'm running Win98SE with 128MB, networking, standard video, a standard dynamically expanding hard disk. No patches whatsoever for Win98SE. I also force starting in full screen mode hiding the virtual PC status and menu bars.

I'm also using the 2 disc edition. I've placed all files in the game directory (764 files) and from memory I think some files were overwritten.

Hope some of that helps!

Reply 9 of 9, by RDP837

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately still no luck.
I'm using Win98 (unpatched) in the VPC, with 128Mb, no network, standard video, full screen mode hiding status and menu bars and using the version of DirectX that came with the Feeble Files.
It still won't get past the blank screen.
Oh well it looks like I'll be waiting for SCUMMVM or something sililar to support it.
Thanks for your help,

Richard