VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cathousejannie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anything that can be done to install and play older CD games in Windows Vista? I have tried to install them and I get nowhere. Has anyone figured this out yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

Reply 2 of 17, by Cathousejannie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not worthy! I followed your link, did what it said, and I can now play Shivers AND Shivers 2!! There is, however, one tiny glitch.

I am unable to play either in fullscreen mode. I have downloaded the lastest DirectX 3D software and reset my screen size preference in each game, but the games will only open and play in "halfscreen" mode, which is actually only a small square in the center of my display. Certainly not big enough to see everything in detail or to become absorbed in the game.

Do I need to reset my screen resolution?

Can you go 2 for 2 and help me with this, too? I swear to you that I'm computer literate, just not real savvy on gaming!

Reply 4 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time I played around with those games I had to use the compatibility mode to set the game to run in 640x480. I don't know if the above patches does away with that or not.

If you do decide to use 640x480 then also check your video drivers control panel and see if they have any scaling options.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have 64-bit Windows, you cannot get Shivers 1 to run without a virtual machine with and earlier version of windows installed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 17, by jjddaass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have an older system thats 32 bit the installer wont even start, i can go into the cd and try to start it and nothing happens. what happens is i put the disk in and the menu to install comes up. i hit install and nothing happens it just sits there. and i can go to the setup and nothing happens. the auto run and nothing happens

Reply 10 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Switch to the Classic theme long enough to install. Also, skip the systems tests. If it still does not start, open the task manager and kill the NTVDM process and try again.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isnt the first Shivers a DOS game? it may be worth trying it out in dosbox if not then try running it in dosbox with windows 3.1 installed. Worth a try!

Reply 13 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isnt that worth a try in dosbox with windows 3.1 installed?

Off the Sierra website:

Shivers' original requirements:
Windows 3.1 or greater
486/33
2x CD-ROM
8 MB RAM
3 MB Hard drive space, 15 MB recommended
SVGA, 256 colors
Sound card with DAC
Mouse

Edit to this post just tried Shivers with Dosbox and Windows 3.1 installed on it and it works fine (Full Screen mode and all 😀

Follow this guide to get Windows 3.1 installed within dosbox

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Or this one from the actual Sierra website

http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emulators/DOS … 3x_install.html

Reply 14 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err,,, that is my site. Yes, you can install Win3x in DOSBox, but he would have to have to own a copy of Win3x to do so. Additionally, even though it will run on 3x, the game runs better on Win9x. If you are going to buy an old copy of Windows, you are best off to buy a copy of Win95 or 98 and set it up in a VM.

Reply 15 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having tried the game in both windows 3.1 and a windows 95 vm, i find no difference between the two versions. I prefer running it in dosbox as it loads in literally 3 or 4 seconds compared to a laborious boot and run within a vm. Not only that if you can get a hold of windows 3.1 legally and put it on dosbox i find it much better to be able to just double click 1 icon and let it run automatically, like dosbox can.
As far as which version of windows to buy for a VM, I would actually go for XP as it has proven direct3d support whereas windows 95/98 has flakey support if at all within a virtual environment

Either way though it's your call 😀