VOGONS

Common searches

Old Games On Widescreen?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Gamezmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any utilities or work arounds to get older games to play properly on a widescreen monitor? By "play properly" I don't mean in a widescreen resolution, I mean to get the screen to display in the game's native 4:3 aspect ratio (with vertical bars on the sides.)

I have tried a few windows games from several years ago that run fine in XP but the display keeps stretching the screen to fit the widescreen when it isn't meant to be that way.

Someone suggested setting "change flat panel scaling" to "scaling with fixed aspect-ratio" in the nVidia control panel, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Cheaters always prosper!

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a function of your display driver and/or monitor. If using "Fixed aspect-ratio scaling" in display options doesn't work, check also your monitor's OSD settings to make sure there isn't something there that causes it to do that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have DOSbox working OK, but it is causing the DOS application to create graphics that are incomplete (e.g. the radar range stops at 10 km instead of going out to the required 60 km -- running the app without DOSbox goes out to 60 km, but the alt-print screen doesn't work). Any ideas? I tried cycles=max to no avail.

Reply 4 of 4, by chuck barlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just read the posting guidelines again, and had previously read the readme file.
I got to my post after registering and then entering the DOSbox forum. How can one start a NEW thread within the DOSbox forum? My problem IS an old game (actually not a game per se, but an app that loads and runs like a game) on widescreen.