VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone played Sanitarium on XP/Vista? The game works great with some minor crashes on screen changes (easily avoidable by saving/restarting....takes like 30 seconds) However I have a truly annoying bug.

Whenever I am in action mode (the sycthe maze, giant squid) my character sprite starts walking backwards when I move to the right. The left works fine, but go right and all the sudden I do the moon walk. Now this wasn't such a big deal because those parts were short and ignorable. However I'm now on Chapter 8 in the Aztec City and the main useable character walks backwards. This is VERY distracting and annoying. 🙁

I'm running in 95 compatibility mode and disabled desktop composition. I've tried all sorts of things and it doesn't help. I tried it in VirtualPC Win98 but the game starts up with fucked colours and I can't see. (Though through the blackness I notice the sprite moves the correct way, indicating it's not an install issue)

Help! 🙁 I love this game to pieces and it will suck if I have to finish it Michael Jackson style.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the game so I'm just throwing out suggestions.....

Have you tried reducing video hardware acceleration in VPC? Helps for some games.

I'm wondering if some of the issues are speed related. Could try a slowdown program.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

I don't have the game so I'm just throwing out suggestions.....

Have you tried reducing video hardware acceleration in VPC? Helps for some games.

I'm wondering if some of the issues are speed related. Could try a slowdown program.

Yeah I actually had acceleration disabled for other games, to which Sanitarium complains about. It actually seems to make matters worse, making it pitch black rather than outlines of graphics.

I could try reducing the speed. Though I'm really curious why this problem isn't widespread if thats what it is. I can't find anyone else with similar issues. 😅

EDIT - Not speed related 🙁

EDIT 2 - aha! Using D3DWindower I managed to get it working. Since D3DWindower emulates DDraw it apparently fixed my problem. How interesting.

Reply 3 of 4, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, there are two versions of Sanitarium available out there.

The original release I couldn't get to work on my Vista, no matter what I tried. The majority of those suffered fom disc breaking as well, there were even verified disc explosions reported.

There is a re-release though by XS Games. After installing that on Vista 32 bit, going to compatibility tab, enabling administrative mode, Windows 2000 Compatibility, and ticking Disable visual themes, Disable desktop composition, Disable display scaling on high DPI setting, the game seems to work fine, no crashes at all.

You might try that setup, but I repeat once again I couldn't get the first version working, whereas the XS Games re-release worked fine for me.

Good luck. 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the latter version. It didn't like my old XP box, but seems to do fine on my new box. Both have ATI cards.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers