VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Me Clumsy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get Dungeon Keeper working under Windows XP. The great thing is that it also works with Deeper Dungeons (expansion pack) and with the Direct3D versions of the games, so here's the scoop:

1) HOW TO INSTALL:

Problem: if you try to install it directly, you will face an error message right from the start, mentioning it needs Windows 95, NT 4.0 or higher. The game does not recognize Windows XP as higher, so it will halt the installation.

Solution: in your Dungeon Keeper CD there is a folder called KEEPER. Inside that folder is another one called WINSETUP. You should run the setup.exe program that is inside that directory. It will prompt you to choose your language, English being the default, and it will take a while to allow you to click on next. It is faster if you are not running a lot of other things. When the computer is done "thinking", just click next. Installation will proceed as normal. If the computer keeps "thinking" for WAY too long time, kill the process with task manager and try again - shouldn't be necessary if you are patient though.

2) BEFORE PLAYING:

Problem: the game won't run directly if you don't patch it.

Solution: go to http://dk2.ea-europe.com/dk1/content/downloads/index.html and download the patch, the Direct3D updates and the fixed executables, and install them in that order.

3) HOW TO PLAY:

Problem: video runs and then the game exits to the desktop

Solution: right click on the executable files (keepd3d, deepd3d for the Direct3D versions) and choose "properties" then click the "compatibility" tab. Select the first option, Windows 95, as the compatibility setting. It should work fine now.

Enjoy!

Reply 1 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to know I guess, but if what I've read is true; "Dungeon Keeper" seems to be a "works for some, but not for all" title.

Kind of like the strange response I got with "Project IGI".

Reply 2 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also read my entry for Dungeon Keeper Gold in my NT Game Compatibility List in Deep Thought. Fix has been there for 2+ years.....

For earlier versions of the game, once patched to latest version the fix actions should be similar.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline