VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a game, Prince of Persia 3D, which worked on previous computers, but not my current one (equipped with a C2D). It crashes immediately when I double-click the exe. Enabling Windows 98 compatibility mode fixes the crashing, but causes audio problems.

By getting the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit and using lots of trial and error, I found out why. Win98 compatibility mode applies several smaller compatibility fixes. Two of them are EmulateSlowCPU and SingleProcAffinity. I found that when EmulateSlowCPU is used alone, everything runs perfectly. But if SingleProcAffinity is used too, audio problems like desynching occur.

Is there any way I can use EmulateSlowCPU, and just EmulateSlowCPU, without needing to go through MACT first? Maybe a batch file I could create and use?

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using the ACT you can create specific fixes for games. It's all in the interface.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know you can create game-specific fixes using the ACT. That's what I just did. I want to know if there's a way to apply said fix without needing to go through the ACT every single time I want to play it.

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You create the .SDB with the act. You apply the .sdb to your system. Once the .sdb is applied you can just execute your game from then on without having to worry about it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SingleProcAffinity also generates an annoying issue with the mouse. It keeps stuttering all over the screen. I could fix this in some games by using StopServiceSynchronous at the same time.