VOGONS

Common searches

Interstate '82

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After Interstate '76 insisted on not working on my W2K machine, and wanting to play Interstate '82 for a while but never purchasing it, I finally went to dragon.ca and purchased it for, IIRC, US$15 (cheap!). Got here, played through level 15, only encountered a couple problems (engine sound clicks, BINK video + Audigy W2K drivers sound cut-outs (fixed by replacing binkw32.dll with a copy from The Longest Journey -- without hardware acceleration (the way I get FF8 to run without sound cut-outs in its movies is to turn this off, but this caused I82 to crash immediately)), shortcuts in the start menu don't fucking work), but then on level 15, without exception, one of two things happens.

1. Abnormal Program Termination in I82STUB.EXE [msdev alert box]
  2. Freeze, button-press, back to desktop

So, I'd like one of two things.

1. Figure out what the fuck is causing this and make an unofficial patch for it (hah!)
  2. Give me a game saved on level 16

Autosaves are fine, that's what I've been using all along. However, since the mall level, I've had the '81 Messernacht -- picked it up in the parking lot. 😀

I was upset enough when Activision's programmers couldn't even write code decent enough to run in Windows 2000 (even with compatibility mode) BEFORE the announcement of W2K/XP, but THIS is just UNACCEPTIBLE.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 8, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had Interstate '82 back when I was running Windows 98 and I never could get it to work right. It would play for a while but it was really choppy, and then it would lock up or something. All of my other games worked fine so I assumed it was a dud and sold it on eBay. I've only played the demo for Interstate '76 but it was fun.

Reply 5 of 8, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to recall I76 working ok under WinXP if I took the following steps recommended by Activision's website:

The game does not recognize the second CD and as such I cannot play.

Answer
Play an audio track from the second CD.
1) Put the second CD in the drive.
2) Start a CD Audio player, such as WinAMP or Windows Media Player.
3) Play an audio track from the second CD.
4) Start the game while the audio track is playing.

Activision also recommends the following, some of which may or may not be necessary:

Set the CD-ROM cache size to zero.

Change the DMA setting on the CD-ROM drive.

Make sure the drive letters for the CD-ROM is set correctly.

Make sure that the location for CD music to play is set correctly.

Make sure your system can successfully play Audio CD's.

Turn off Auto Insert Notification.

Reply 7 of 8, by wizzel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Interstate '82 (german version) today on Vista-SP1 and found out
that it's not working out-of-the-box.

It crashes when it should load the selected mission.

Fix: Rename i82stub.exe to e.g.: i82.exe and it works like a charm!

Hope that helps! 😁

The future of computation lies in emulation.