VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DrLarrye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get an old (Wild Tangent Spacerocks) game to work, but before I try to ask any specific questions I was hoping to get a few general basic questions answered first....or sent to where I should ask them. How do I determine if it was a DOS or Windows game. (I was told if it could be played as a stand alone game from it folder, as opposed to being installed, it is a DOS game.....True or False?) It uses Java and internet explorer to play...I guess I just answered my own question. If it uses IE it must be a Windows game...right? Last general question...Should Java be backwards compatible?
I'm hoping with answers to these questions I can search the forum to find my solution, or at least ask the right questions about my specific problem.

Thanks for helping a beginner to old games

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

False.
Yes.
Most of the time.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WildTangent exclusively makes Windows games dependent on their own proprietary WildTangent web plugin (which is pretty much spyware 🤣). They have never done a DOS game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Java is tricky. I've seen at least one game that worked fine in one version of Java but was incompatible with a newer version.

Regardless, you should probably never have more than one version of Java on your system: the latest version. (Since the Java installer never uninstalls older versions, you'll have to run the uninstaller for those older versions manually.) Old versions of Java are full of security holes. If you want to play a game that's incompatible with the latest version, go badger the game's author to fix it. 😜