VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rygaros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

After some years I found this great game in my closet and decided to reinstall it. But heres the problem, the game needs windows 95 and direct x5. Is there any way I can get this game to run on windows xp?
I tryed to enter the creators website and downlaod a patch but it looks like they doesn't exist anymore.

Atm, I'm running a amd 2800+ 1gb ram and geefroce 6800LE

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you are lucky it will work if you do a right-click on the installer and sets compatibility mode to Win95. You might have to create a short-cut and change the setting for that instead of the real installer. And you probably need to do the same for the game itself.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by Rygaros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, thats right. I forgot that I can run games in previous operatingsystems by rightclicking the .exe file. I didn't know though that I can run the installationfile like that as well. Do I only have to rightclick that file and run in windows 95?

What about the direct x5, can I run the game with direct x 10 or do I have to reinstall it to that version?

Reply 4 of 10, by Rygaros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It didn't work. I both used the installations file and the .exe file in windows 95 compatible mode. What else can it be?

On the cd there were a tab were I could go online and see other cool stuff from the company on their website. Once I psuhed the button it said that it required 3mb of virtual memory to play, can this be the problem that I have to much memory?

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually the virtual memory error is caused by your pagefile being too large of a value for the program. I usually run these programs in a VM instead of playing around with my hosts pagefile.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the game so I can't be more specific.

You could try the game using Microsoft Virtual PC, Vmware Workstation or Virtualbox.
Install Windows 98 in one of the above three and try your game there.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-11-17, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 10, by freak-o-mator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
i spent the last 2 hours installing win 98 on a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. I'm able to run "Liberation Day", even the sound works with music from the game Audio CD.

Playing "Scenarios" works fine, but i have problems with the Campaign mode (which is the mode that really matters).

1. Savegame problem: when i try to save a game i get an error message by the game.

2. On the loading screen for the second mission on the campaign i get stuck. Music continues to play but nothing else happens. It is not even possible to restart by using the "Ctrl+Alt+Del"-Option of Virtual PC 2007.

I have no experience using Virtual PC, so I'm thankfull for any suggestions ^^

Reply 10 of 10, by freak-o-mator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, the problem was the CD Audio Music. If an audio track is playing while saving the game or loading a new campaign mission the forementioned problems will occure.
I re-installed the game using "compact" as installation size, this installs the game without CD Audio music support (i found no option to turn the music off in the game).

I still wanted to hear the kick-ass 😉 music while playing, so i just ripped the Audio Tracks from the CD and play them with WinAmp.

The game works fine and I'm happy. 😀

If definitely recommend using "Virtual PC" to get this game to run, it was much easier than i expected it to be.