VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Top-Loader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! great website, and if you can help me with this problem i will think about donating certenly!

Ok, first i tried loading the windows installer (on windows xp) and it just wont run, even with compatability set to win95.
So i thought id be clever and install the dos game, and to my suprise it installed no problem. But the sound was terriblely distorted. so I serched the web and after an hour found this webby, the anserw to my prayers.

So i read closey and found the 'sound fx' emulator. and run that, it seemed to sort the problem and i was getting exited (er, not larrys kinda exited...) but the sound is still alittle funny, better, but distored often enough to be a piss off. I guess if the settings were changed it would help, but its a little beyoned my understanding.

Idealy i wanna run the windows games, but if someone can correct my sound problems then my first child shall be named after them 😉

Thanks for the work done on this site, as i love older games but use xp.

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Top-Loader Ok, first i tried loading the windows installer (on windows xp) and it just wont run, even with compatability set to win95.

Not sure why, but Sierra's "Windows engines" seem to be some of least compatible programs out there.

So i thought id be clever and install the dos game, and to my suprise it installed no problem. But the sound was terriblely distorted.

Since you didn't mention VDMSound, I gather that you were using XP's built-in SoundBlaster emulation.

So i read closey and found the 'sound fx' emulator. and run that, it seemed to sort the problem and i was getting exited (er, not larrys kinda exited...) but the sound is still alittle funny, better, but distored often enough to be a piss off. I guess if the settings were changed it would help, but its a little beyoned my understanding.

Do you mean this program? Not a whole lot of expertise on it as it's a commercial product and IIRC, works in a different way than VDMSound.

Idealy i wanna run the windows games, but if someone can correct my sound problems then my first child shall be named after them

There's a scary thought... If the Windows version don't work with compatibility modes, then there's not a whole lot left to try. Will try to find my Larry7 CD and see if I can get it working...

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DjLc LSL7 works great under Windows 2000 without vdms or other...
I dunno why it doesn't work under XP.

Don't make general presumptions from only a single example. BTW, the DOS version won't play audio without VDMSound in Windows2000. The Windows version will, but of course, you wouldn't run that with VDMSound.

I did not get the same results as "Top-Loader":

LSL7

AUTOPLAY locked up on startup. Killed it, started SETUP manually.
Installed fine, ran fine. Recommend "640x480" Compatibility Mode option to fill the screen.

Note: "Boss switch" and Alt_tabbing back to the Desktop don't work properly. Once minimized, I was unable to re-open the Window.

DOS
Ran VDMSound with INSTALL.BAT
Installed and ran fine (easily confused by large drive partitions).
Slight clipping on audio. Disabled AdLib and MIDI emulation (LSL7 uses neither). Audio seems smooth now.
Seems to be VESA only. No VGA version available.

Reply 5 of 9, by Top-Loader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
I did not get the same results as "Top-Loader": […]
Show full quote

I did not get the same results as "Top-Loader":

LSL7

AUTOPLAY locked up on startup. Killed it, started SETUP manually.
Installed fine, ran fine. Recommend "640x480" Compatibility Mode option to fill the screen.

It worked for you? i'v tried on two pcs with xp and they both lock up on start up ( it plays a little tune, a start up tab appers on the task bar, but theres no way of closeing or opening it) So i tried it manually again and the same problem occured.

DOS
Slight clipping on audio. Disabled AdLib and MIDI emulation (LSL7 uses neither). Audio seems smooth now.

iv not tried vdmsound yet but is a shame bout the no vga

Reply 6 of 9, by Top-Loader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note: "Boss switch" and Alt_tabbing back to the Desktop don't work properly. Once minimized, I was unable to re-open the Window.

yeah, thats the problem i get, but it starts minimized 🙁

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Top-Loader It worked for you? i'v tried on two pcs with xp and they both lock up on start up

Don't know what to tell you. Running on XP-Pro, no SP1, DirectX 8.1

iv not tried vdmsound yet but is a shame bout the no vga

Run the INSTALL without VDMSound to install. Then run with VDMSound with INSTALL after installation has finished and choose SoundBlaster. If you run VDMSound on the CD it will fail to find the CD due to MSCDEX not being loaded by default.

Hopefully, its VESA test is compatible with your video card.

Reply 8 of 9, by Top-Loader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS

Ok, nearly there! i got it working ok 😀 but all i need to do now is change the settings like you mentioned above, but i cant find the vdm sounds options to disable these fetures.

As for the windows version, what are the chances that me haveing sp1 installed would make any diffrence? Guess i may have to set up a partison with 98se, might save alot of time....

Thanks again for your time

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Top-Loader all i need to do now is change the settings like you mentioned above, but i cant find the vdm sounds options to disable these fetures.

Run VDMSound on LSL7DOS.BAT once, then immediately quit.

You will see that it has created a LSL7DOS.VLP shortcut (the .VLP part of the filename may or may not be visible). It will have a "Command Prompt" icon and if your Explorer is displaying files in detailed mode, it will identify it's "Type" as "VDMSound Shortcut".

Right-click the VLP file and choose Properties, click the box by MIDI emulation to clear it, click the Advanced button, click on the AdLib tab, then click in the box by Enable AdLib (FM) Emulation to clear it. Click OK, then click OK again.

As for the windows version, what are the chances that me haveing sp1 installed would make any diffrence?

Hard to tell. I wouldn't have thought it would have any impact, but I've seen some posts that indicate otherwise. It complicates matters that at least some of what SP1 does is unknown as it is related to changes in "Activation".

Guess i may have to set up a partison with 98se, might save alot of time....

Easy to do when adding WinXP to Win98, a big pain when adding Win98 to XP.