VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by repsode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I noticed another user has had a similar problem but wasn't sure if it had been solved.

I recently purchased the Gabriel Knight trilogy from ebay, using Endroz's installers (many thanks) on the first two games. GK1 ran fine but I came across a problem in Chapter 2 of the second. When asking Herr Huber about Werewolves for a second time the following error message appears:

Alert

VMD error 1 -> IMD_ptr NULL
...\ vmd.cpp(495)

Yes/No

Clicking either button exits the game. I have been unable to ascertain the problem and thought someone here would have better insight. I am running the game on Vista in Full HD install if that helps. I'm using a UK version of the game but I'm not sure that actually means the data's different from the US one.

Sorry if the answer is already here. If so mods feel free to redirect me and close the thread.

Reply 1 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't sound like a permissions issue, but do you have the game installed outside of the Program Files directory? Do you get the same problem if you play the DOS version in DOSBox?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might also try to install the game in a directory outside of the Program Files folder.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 14, by repsode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For other reasons I have just downgraded my computer back to XP. Using the XP installer procedure again I played through the game as normal and found that the problem had corrected itself and The Beast Within is now running like a charm.

It's possible it was just due to an error in the installation process or (more likely) something specifically related to Vista.

Thanks so much for your suggestions regardless. It may crop up again but have seen no evidence of this so far.

Reply 5 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For what it is worth, Hendroz is talking about redoing his GK installers to use DOSBox. I already have an installer that automatically sets up GK1 to run in DOSBox without need of the CD after the install. You can find it on my website.

Reply 6 of 14, by repsode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, I'll check it out. I'm pretty protective of my games and amazingly my copies of these games are in great condtion, hardly a spot on the discs so installing them completely onto the hard drive is very attractive to me.

Reply 10 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the [autoexec] section:
imgmount d "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD1.iso" "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD2.iso" "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD3.iso" "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD4.iso" "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD5.iso" "C:\Sierra\GK2\CD6.iso" -t iso

Simple, done.

Reply 11 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
collector wrote:

ISimple, done.

No, not simple. It requires reading the README file. Empirical evidence suggests that reading is very hard.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 14, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I know how to mount it. And I have read from the README file.

Not so simple. I've found that with more than 3 of those DOSBox reports "Image not found" and refuses to mount drive D with any of them. Even when typed correctly or copy/paste directly from the address and image.

Plus I just like Daemon Tools because I can see what I'm doing. Consider a game where the next area you cross into could be on one of several discs and not in order. Now assume you've gotten into the game and don't remember which disc you're on. How many times do you press Crtl-F4? Add to it that if you don't see a result it may be just loading and another Crtl-F4 will send it to the wrong disc. With Daemon Tools I know which disc I'm on.

Reply 14 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Whatever.................

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions