VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: You can now find a way to make Carmageddon 2 run on Vista - with sound and all - in the thread "How to run Carmageddon 2 on Windows Vista" - here How to run Carmageddon 2 on Windows Vista and Windows 7 .

I Just got my beloved Carmageddon 2 running on my Vista laptop using dgvoodoo.
It runs perfectly in direct3d mode and not quite so perfectly in Glide mode with some weird weird graphics errors and occassional crashes. (It doesn't even consider running in direct draw mode).

Common to both working modes however is that none of them has any sound at all - not in the intro sequence, not in the menus, not when driving, not at any time. No music either.

Does anyone now how to fix this? I absolutely loove this game and have already completed the first five stages with no sound - but it would be nice also to have the classic screaming and crashing sounds... Aaah the memories 😉

My sound card is a generic "Realtek High Definition Audio".

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Nilfisken on 2009-02-11, 17:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 16, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nilfisken wrote:

I Just got my beloved Carmageddon 2 running on my Vista laptop using dgvoodoo.
It runs perfectly in direct3d mode and not quite so perfectly in Glide mode with some weird weird graphics errors and occassional crashes. (It doesn't even consider running in direct draw mode).
Common to both working modes however is that none of them has any sound at all - not in the intro sequence, not in the menus, not when driving, not at any time. No music either.

well dgVoodoo is a Glide wrapper but won't handle sound/music issues,
is Carmageddon 2 a cdrom game?

Besides using dgVoodoo zip files, what are you using dgVoodoo with to have sound ? Sapucdex, or VDMSound maybe ? Or both?

Last edited by gidierre on 2009-01-28, 13:28. Edited 1 time in total.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 4 of 16, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well VDM-sound doesn't give me the option to run it with Carmageddon 2, I guess since it's not a dos game or something like that.
But as I am a newbie, I don't know what Sapucdex is. But is there any way to use VDM sound with Carm 2? Or any other solution...?

Reply 6 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess you could try this:

http://carmadownloads.jjunkies.com/index.php?act=view&id=312

Never had to use it myself.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 16, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried the patch, but *sigh* still no sound...
And a correction. It doesn't need the CD to play.

And I'm using Zeckensack to run it now - not that that has anything to do with the sound - but thanks for the tip DosFreak, it's much more stable.

Reply 8 of 16, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm guessing it doesn't fall back to "emulated" software sound but is getting stuck trying to use hardware accelerated DirectSound - which Microsoft (heartless bastards) killed off with Vista along with the gameport (from a random google search on the subject):
http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=5866

There are a bunch of patches that are required for Carmageddon II to run properly on XP - I know you're running Vista but maybe you could get some sound out of it if you installed those patches.

Another idea - there's a file in the data subfolder inside the carmageddon II folder called 'Options.txt' or something like that; open that up in notepad and see if there are any sound settings in there. Maybe you can force it to software mode by changing something.

Reply 12 of 16, by Nilfisken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I finally found a way to make the sound work in Carmageddon 2 on Vista.
You need to set the carma2_HW.exe (or c2_HW.exe for some) to run in Windows 98/ME Compatibility mode, and then run that file directly (instead of the Carma2.exe) - and you have sound! Woo!
(You of course need to install the XP patch as well).

However while this solves the sound issue, it creates another problem. By starting Carmageddon 2 from Carma2_HW.exe directly, I get the annoying cursor problem, with the cursor being stuck in a small boxed area of the screen, making it impossible to buy as well as change cars (though you could say that "since you can't buy new cars, you have no need for the ability to change cars - problem solved 😁").... But that problem does not belong to this thread.

Thx for all the help =)

Reply 15 of 16, by DeadlyGamer5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, it may be a little late, but i just remembered the game, bought it, and tried to play it, Sound didn't work, i did what you guys said, Sound works, but the game crashes when i try to start the race, any help?

EDIT: Never mind. Installed The patch wrong. Thanks For the help. 😁