Common searches

carmageddon 2

Topic actions

First post, by EZekeel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys!

i wanted to play carmageddon 2 after a long time again, so i installed it but i can only blay in software mode and not in direct3d. if i start ist witch direct3d it seems to start (screen becomes black) and than i am directly back in win...maybe its because of the newer directx versions or graCa drivers?

Reply 1 of 13, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you patched the game with the 2.0 patch?

Have you tried reconfiguring the 3D setup? "Add '/setup' or '/config' on to the end of Carma2's command line. (Right click 'carma2.exe', select properties, edit the command line)"

Does anything on this page help?

For further support it would probably be as well to tell us your OS and graphics card/driver versions.

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 3 of 13, by EZekeel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hehe yeah @profile 😉

so i updated carma2 to version 2.0 and it sayd: "wrong system: does not work on windows nt"
so i searched and used the "carmageddon 2 windows xp patch" from the official homepage. and no i have the same problem as before 😀
blank screen, seems to do something, back in windows.

Reply 6 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some digging around, came across this:

UK and US versions.
Carmageddon 2 has a version of SafeDisk copy-protection that requires it to be running on a Windows 9X operating system.

A generic EXE unrapper called 'UnSafeDisk' can extract the real EXE from the ICD file, and this file has no issues running under XP.

Do a google search for "GameFix" and try downloading UnSafeDisk from the "GameFix" website.

More info from "MP3Vampire":

1. Keep a backup of the old exe, i.e. "CARMA2_HW.EXE.BAK"

2. Rename one of the files generated by UnSafeDisk to be "CARMA2_HW.EXE", if you try to run the files directly you wil get errors, cause commands have to be sent to the file to run from "carma2.exe", the working file usually produces an error message "BRender error detected: Failure: Could not reference image glide2x" this is because by default they have tryed to run the program on 3DFX cards.

3. Once you know it is working you can delete the extra file

Reply 7 of 13, by EZekeel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've done exactly as you said. i unsafedisked the carma2_hw.icd and had 2 .exe files.
with the first one came the error message wich you already said with "BRender error detected: Failure: Could not reference image glide2x". but there was still my old problem...black screen, back in windows.
with the second .exe NOTHING happens...clicked and absolutely nothin appeared and no message. 😒

tried it again with the update to 2.0....still the same.

i WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME! ;o)

Reply 8 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Search NTCompatible.com forums for Carmageddon 2 and OpenGlide. I posted a fix there. Would be more helpful but I'm on a slow modem and pressed for time. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Search NTCompatible.com forums for Carmageddon 2 and OpenGlide. I posted a fix there.

From what I gather, the Glide version is immune to the copy-protection issue?

Reply 13 of 13, by kefka95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found that zeckensack's Glide wrapper works miracles with Carmageddon 2 in XP:

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

Not only can you use a joystick, but you can jack up the resolution about as high as you want, as well as play around with some other video options. It sure makes the game look nice 😁

Just be sure you set compatibility mode and make sure the "run in 640x480" box is checked in the properties for CARMA2_HW.EXE. Also, for some reason when I quit the game, the CARMA2_HW process doesn't get shut down, but you can close it manually from the task manager.

As for the Safedisc issue, my copy of Carmageddon 2 doesn't have any copy protection on the CD or the install directory, so I can't help you there. I think I probably have the original US release, so it could be they added the copy protection in later releases of the game.