Common searches

Tomb Raider I

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

Actually the background music does seem to be missing although I'm way more concerned about the plot line so I really thought nothing of it.

I'm looking into some things that may help. Thanks a lot for your replies. 😀

Could you please tell us if background music is missing because you are using DosBox, because you have the Sold Out release, or just because you have downloaded the game? Without info, there's not much we can do to help you.

Reply 21 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

Actually the background music does seem to be missing

that only goes to show Batracio got it right and I assumed wrong 😊

if you used the syntax I chose in those .conf and .bat files of mine anyway,
I reckon Sold Out is the only explanation
although my divinatory powers seem to have reached a new nadir lately 😵

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 22 of 29, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember having to connect an audio cable between my CD drive and my soundcard to get the background music working in Tomb Raider. I can't recall any other details, I think I was running XP at the time.

Reply 23 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

batracio, I'm not using DOSBox because my Dad thinks it will harm the computer which I mentioned on that other thread. I definitely haven't downloaded it - I have the disc. Though I'm not really sure what you mean by "sold out" version.

Sune Salminen, I'll be sure to look into that eventually.

Thanks for all your replies 😁

Reply 24 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

batracio, I'm not using DOSBox because my Dad thinks it will harm the computer which I mentioned on that other thread. I definitely haven't downloaded it - I have the disc. Though I'm not really sure what you mean by "sold out" version.

Open your TR1 CD from your favorite media player and see if you can play audio tracks 2 through 10. If not, you got the Sold Out version, a release without ambient music.

And please, let us know how on earth you managed to get TR1 working on Vista x64 if your dad won't allow you to use DosBox. We can't help much if you don't give us more info.

Reply 25 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did what you said & I was able to hear all of them. There were only nine, not ten. Although that may be why you said to play 2 to 10 instead of 1 to 10. I was able to hear all the dialogue that is supposed to be in the in-game cut scenes, but all of them (dialogue, music & general sound effects) had very bizarre names that seemed to comply with other TR games. I'm not sure what this proves but I found it very interesting.

Now about how I installed Tomb Raider 1. It has been a while but I believe I used something called the Tomb Raider Advanced Installer from the TR Chronicles website, which surprisingly is not just for TR Chronicles. 😉

Reply 26 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tomb Raider Advanced Installer configures the game to run with dgVoodoo and VDMSound. Therefore the game itself (not the installer) won't work on Vista x64.

I really doubt you are using Vista x64. Please follow these instructions to check your OS version:

Method 1 […]
Show full quote

Method 1

1. Click Start, then click on Run or Start Search.
2. Type msinfo32.exe and then press Enter key.
3. In “System Information”, review the value for the System Type item:
* For 32-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x86-based PC.
* For 64-bit editions of Windows, the value of the System Type item is x64-based PC.

Method 2

1. Click Start, type system in the “Start Search” box, and then click system in the “Programs” list.
2. The operating system appears as follows:
* For a 64-bit version operating system: 64-bit Operating System appears for the “System type” under “System”.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: 32-bit Operating System appears for the “System type” under “System”.

Method 3

1. Click Start, type system in the “Start Search” box, and then click System Information in the “Programs” list.
2. The operating system appears as follows:
* For a 64-bit version operating system: x64-based PC appears for the “System type” under “Item”.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: x86-based PC appears for the “System type” under “Item”.

Reply 28 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

I tried all three methods and I definitely have 64x Vista. 😀

And this is where the problem leads to a dead end. If you really have Vista x64, and you can't use DosBox, then I'm sorry, but you are SOL.

On the other hand, I still can't understand how you managed to run TR using the advanced installer, but whatever you did to get it working, the solution to hear the audio in cutscenes was given to you months ago by Rekrul. I tried it yesterday and indeed, I couldn't hear the dialogues in cutscenes when the audio cable was unplugged. Connecting the cable between the first CD drive and the sound card completely fixes the problem. However, It only worked when digital CD audio was disabled, so I would try both options. Sune Salminen insisted on the same solution only a few days ago and you replied that you will look into that eventually. Oh, well.

And if everything else fails, you still can run TR into a VM session. But your chances to install a Virtual Machine, and then a complete OS like DOS or Windows 9x into it, and then successfully run TR into the VM session, are close to zero IMHO. If you can't use such a safe an easy emulator as DosBox because it could harm your computer, then forget about virtualization, because a Virtual Machine could make your computer explode.

Hope you have good luck.