VOGONS

Common searches

Turok 2 in XP/Vista with Wrappers not working

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have that patch already and I've tried it. It's a multi-player only patch unfortunately, it only changes the Turok2MP.exe, the Turok2.exe remains untouched by the patch. As for making Turok 2 work I'm still doing the elimination process with the available cards in the list, I've done about a dozen so far, none of which made the slightest of the differences.

Additionally, I'm going to write a e-mail to Sven Labusch in hope that he considers making a wrapper for Turok 2, basically that's what it'd have to be, and while I don't know what would be his answer I do have my doubts, since I'm basically the unique source of the "demand" for Turok 2, there's probably less than a hundred people on this planet still playing Dinosaur Hunter and/or Seeds of Evil on the PC. But... indeed, who knows... he might accept, I'm crossing my fingers.

Reply 23 of 64, by Celestis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I´m also searching a Glide-Wrapper for Turok 2. But I havn´t found any solution for this, and exact the same problem as above 🙁

The strange thing is, Turok 1 runs perferct in Glide. I use "zeckensack´s Glide Wrapper" But I get a black screen but sound if I try to run Turok 2 Seeds of Evil.

Please post immediatly if you found any solution for this.

Thanks!

PS: One thing left, is it normal thats the level map dont work in both Turok´s? I can see them only in bonus areas. Really strange bug again 🙁

Reply 24 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have very encouraging news guys, because Sven Labusch replied to my e-mail, and here is his reply:

«Hello there,

The wrapper I made for Diablo2 will never be able for games with a total different engine compared to D2. Sorry. But based on my wrapper I could take a look, on how I could make a new one, that works with Turok2 SoE. But even then, this would need some time.

I'll give a report, when I got some results.

Regards.

Sven Labusch
»

There is hope! 😀

Reply 25 of 64, by Celestis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, I´m also german. Maybe I should contact him and assist Sven if needed.

But I´ve found some infos, too. Look at this Turok insider Page. Its in russian, but you can use the google translation at the left navigation.
There some really interesting infos about 3dfx, Glide, Sub commands and a fix for the music. Also some technical infos and workarounds. Very interesting, but russian my is very bad, and my english not good enough to understand them all. Maybe some other could check this site for important infos -> http://ctpax-cheater.narod.ru/htmldocs/turok.htm

Reply 26 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That web-site is good Celestis, I got the music fix for Seeds of Evil from it in fact, but there is nothing mentioned about crashes or wrapper problems. And also what you said in your previous posts about the map, I also have map problems in both Dinosaur Hunter and Seeds of Evil, they don't work, all I can see is the yellow arrow in the center and nothing else, it does not work in both Direct3D and in wrapper for Dinosaur Hunter, and it does not work in Direct3D for Seeds of Evil.

Maybe the map problem is not related to the render but would be in fact a bug that happened during the game porting, because the PC versions of both Turok games are from the Consoles, so maybe when they tried to port it then the problem happened and the testers never noticed it, or maybe they knew but they didn't have time to fix it. There is also another thing I noticed in Dinosaur Hunter, about the music, it works but it is not complete. I know the music tracks by heart from the Nintendo 64 versions of both games, and I know that the Dinosaur Hunter tracks do not play entirely, instead they play to about 70% of the track and then the sound fades away before the true end of the track.

And generally speaking the sounds in the PC version of Dinosaur Hunter is less varied than in the N64 version, also again about the music, in the PC version the music for Level 4 (The Ruins) is missing, and the music that should be playing under water is also missing. But outside of the sounds, music and map the rest is exactly the same and it works great. I even discovered one item I never found before, and a secret passage in Level 4 which I never discovered before to get a Grenade Launcher hidden at the top of a tall structure. It's very fun to play that game even after all those years hehe!

Reply 27 of 64, by Scarab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had problems as wel, turok 2 would'nt start up on my system at all.
Asus Mainboard with EN8800GTS Videocard and Windows Vista.
Changing the name of the .exe file from Turok2English.exe to Turok2.exe
solved the problem for me. Is all that was needed, it can be that easy.

Reply 28 of 64, by John Peterson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

We need to bug nvidia to correct this problem. Many other games are affected by this same bug.

Have they responded to this issue. Or has anyone found the source of the problem? I had a similar problem in Sega Rally 2 that may be a DirectX 6 game (with the 182.05 beta drivers).

Reply 29 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have they responded to this issue. Or has anyone found the source of the problem? I had a similar problem in Sega Rally 2 that may be a DirectX 6 game (with the 182.05 beta drivers).

Not yet, but we are sure that nvidia drivers are causing this because these games used to work perfectly with the 9x.xx drivers and previous. I know this issue with Sega Rally 2, it's the same as Jane's USAF, Virtual Pool 2 Hall and Motorhead. It'll keep slowing down as much as you play, but when you change screens it disappears and starts all over again. Franpa thinks it might be the missing 16-bit texture dithering support, which is converted to 32-bit in 1xx.xx drivers.

Reply 30 of 64, by cbburtraw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I created this account just for this thread. I am also a newbie to the Turok for PC ordeal. I always loved the games for n64 and da da da. Wanted to try the PC for better graphics and controls. I won't lie, I got ripped versions of both games (working on the no music fix after done posting here). I had similar problems in Turok 2. My maps work fine, but often parts of the game go invisible, including enemies, etc. I am running Windows 7 64 bit and ATI Radeon 4670 HD (so ATI cards CAN have these problems as well).

One thing that is different for me is that the framerates dont bog down and the game doesnt gradually break down, the game instead crashes instantaneously and randomly, and seems independent of the missing graphics for me.

Only problem I had in Turok 1 was the missing maps (would only get them in small bonus areas) no biggie.

Oh and in both games, if I try to switch windows, they instantly crash. I just don't multitask while playing them. again no biggie.

For the record, I tried Scarab's idea of changing the .exe file name, and it SEEMED to work great at first, but must have been a coincidence. It does seem to crash less often and bugs appear less often, but maybe its just my imagination, and it still happens. 🙁

Any updates on the wrapper situation?

Reply 31 of 64, by cbburtraw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I think I found a solution to many of our problems. May not work for everyone, but did for me. Turns out this game doesn't run well on multi-processor systems, so you want to apply a uni-processor fix. This patch will also cure many no-music issues (I can not vouch for this because you still need a cd for music and I don't have one yet)
all you do is un-rar the exe file, open it up, then within the window it opens, navigate to your turok.exe (whatever its called on your system) and select it. This will apply the patch to the exe. You may also want to apply it to the multiplayer exe as well. I haven't because I dont plan to play multiplayer. Its all about the single player for me 😀
Thank heavens for Russians 😁

http://ctpax-cheater.narod.ru/htmldocs/turok/t2soecdm.zip

The text file within the rar file reads (I cut out the russian copy)
"Turok 2: Seeds of Evil CD Music Patch v1.3
(c) -=CHE@TER=- 2007-2009
http://ctpax-cheater.narod.ru
mailto: _CTPAX_@mail.ru

This is a patch for Turok 2: Seed of Evil game to fix CD music playing under Windows XP and later.

Before install new version of patch you must remove old one with - just run patcher with /uninstall key:
T2SOECDM.exe /uninstall

2009.10.05: version 1.3
- fix no looping bug for Windows Vista - thanks to Fernando Audisio and Igor Calabria for help
- now for apply patch you should select Turok executable (Turok2.exe or Turok2English.exe or similar)
- more accurate way to find WINMM.dll name, so now you can't patch any file with this string in it
- add uni-processor mode patch (may fix crash on multi-processor systems)
- source codes release to public

2008.09.22: version 1.2
- no nag screen when winm2.dll is loaded; now it appears only once - when patch is installed
- smaller size: winm2.dll - only 2560 bytes (FASM) and patcher itself - 14848 bytes (Grom PE's Delphi system replacement)
- more compatibile with other versions of Turok 2

2008.04.12: version 1.1
- forgot to remove test code so patch worked only for drive "F:" - now it's fixed and works for any drive

2007.06.08: version 1.0
* first public release
"

Last edited by cbburtraw on 2009-12-22, 20:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 64, by cbburtraw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a few more notes on the patch (all good!)
-no more nag screen(s) at the beginning of the game about missing files (the text file above makes note of this)
-I can even switch applications and windows without the game crashing! wow! However, when switching back to Turok, the window will not pop up immediately (takes about 10-15 seconds to come back up). Wierd, but fine by me, its better than not being able to switch at all!
*If you are in the same boat, BE PATIENT. Clicking on the taskbar tab several times will only cause it to try to minimize and maximize several times, taking even longer.

so far so good. no bugs, no crashes. again, I have only played it for about a half hour since the fix. I will keep you updated, but for now, its time for bed! (its past 3AM now... 🤣!)

PS, if the patch doesn't work at first, try changing the name of your exe to Turok2.exe, because I never changed that back and you never know if that makes a difference. Doubt it, but just thought I'd make note. Happy Hunting!

-Chris

Reply 34 of 64, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Our prayers have been answered 😁

aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-14510.html:

[nGlide 0.92 glide wrapper changelog]
Added support for Glide3 library (glide3x.dll). In particular:

* added support for Diablo 2
* added support for Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
* added support for Fifa 99
* added support for Heli Heroes
* added support for Le Mans 24 Hours
* added support for Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
* added support for Need For Speed 4: High Stakes
* added support for Need For Speed 5: Porsche Unleashed
* added support for Project64, N64 Emulator (with Glide64 plugin)
* added support for realMYST: Interactive 3D Edition
* added support for Rollcage
* added support for Rollcage Stage 2
* added support for Sinistar: Unleashed
* added support for Test Drive 5
* added support for Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
* added support for World War 3: Black Gold

Glide wrapper 0.92 download

Reply 36 of 64, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dude I never even heard of this nGlide wrapper, thanks a lot for posting it. It's a billion times better than every other wrapper I've tried, works for Turok 2 and Carmageddon 2 and MOTORHEAD and, most of all Outlaws! Thanks!

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 37 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It only has 2 weak points. It doesn't work along with RefresLock utility and you cannot force higher resolution modes like in dgvoodoo.