VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many of the old Direct X games I have, have a graphical issue that makes them unplayable... all of the sudden the colors are replaced by purples, greens, magentas... it looks very garbled and you can't make out a thing...

Some of the games that have this issue are Fallout, Fallout 2, Theme Hospital, Worms 2 and World Party among others...

My graphic card is a Ati Radeon HD 24000 PRO is that helps...

I though it was something that would be solved by playing them in a window, but Sonic CD and Baku Baku are windowed and I have the same problem...

Since the screenshots looks black I took a photo...IMG_0004.jpg

Reply 1 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download "Autoruns" from Microsoft. Uncheck everything in startup.

Test your games. If they work fine they you will need to identify what program in your startup is corrupting your palette.

The fallout games have their own issue with 2000+ with the pallete. Go here: http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried Starcraft in Windows 7 yet, have you tried using the XP or Vista drivers for your card instead of the Windows 7 drivers?

Reply 4 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hell no. Not interested in compromising the stability/features of newer games and my system by trying to do weird driver-level hacks like that.

I did try running in various compatibility modes though with no luck.

Reply 5 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well your only other options would be going through the ACT or running it in a VM.

or possibly change the color depth of the desktop? I think all of those games are 256 colors.

I'll see about testing Starcraft in Windows 7 sometime. I've been waiting till RTM which is why I haven't really bothered.

Reply 9 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's sad is that MS doesn't seem to be updating the ACT database (included with Windows) as much. It would be nice if they accept user submission of fixes into their database.

One of the many things on my list of things to do is to create a custom App compat database for each version of Windows for all of the ACT fixes that are needed. I already have the list of which games need compatibility mode and which games need fixes I just need to put that in an App compat database so all person would have to do is double-click on the .sdb and they'd have a working game.

I've had to use a custom .sdb I made for Missionforce Cyberstorm all the way back in Windows 2000 up until Vista just to get damn game to work and MS never included it in their database. Of course since 64bi OS's came out the game doesn't work there so you have to run it in a VM.

Reply 10 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should maintain a DosFreak's Compat Database on VOGONS :p

At one point I had successfully used custom ACT settings to make Baldur's Gate work on modern nVidia hardware, but the community has since come out with a better fix.

Reply 13 of 33, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off topic; I tried playing Baldur's Gate(II /w addons) for the first time recently, as I had the urge to play an RPG, but I ended up deleting it, as the game play involves spending your time fighting the interface, not playing an RPG. Anyone with other RPG suggestions?

Reply 14 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wow, that IS off topic... why didnT' you just create your own thread instead of dragging this thread off topic?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

First I did read the thread and yeah, I noticed that Baldur's Gate wws mentioned (not even the second one). But your post is like if I'd asked totally unrelated stuff on dosfreaks compatibilty list, or "i read the book xyz, didn't like it, can you suggest another one?", because you mentioned reading...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 33, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Starting from one the games mentioned and asking for a suggestion of a good game of the same type to play in thread about getting old games to play isn't the non sequitur you're trying to make it out to be. For that matter, very easy to make it on topic: Anyone know of a good old RPG that doesn't have any directx issues?

Oh yeah, to get Baldur's Gate to run on this little laptop I'm using I had to turn off hardware acceleration, the catch being the setup insisted on running a screen test utility that freezes up and makes the mouse disappear. Key navigating to select the utility and killing the process, the setup thinks it still ran and asks if it did so successfully, which I just responded yes, which it happily accepted and ran. It even seemed to use the wide screen format and not screen stretching, too bad the game interface sucked(I'm surprised so many people like Baldur's Gate.)

Reply 18 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, the whole forum is mostly about getting old games to run 😀
And I could give you at least a hundred rpg as a reply to your new question, but then you would be really pissed off at me 😀 (because I'm sure you only meant directx rpgs but didn't write it)
As for bg I was one of the few that was disappointed as well and stopped playing two hours in the game...
But isn't this all fully inappropiate for this thread?

Reply 19 of 33, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best way to run the old games nowadays is to put together an old cheap pc from the online auction sites, install win98se with dos on that pc and play the games over there. problem solved. 😀

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com