VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Every cut scene works perfectly except the one right after you complete the last India level. I mean, you can't hear it, you can't see it, and it doesn't even pause in blackness while it should be happending. It just goes straight to "your level stats". 🙁 Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 6, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try reinstalling the game. If that doesn't work then try to search for patches for the game and hope one fixes the problem. If still not working then you might have a corrupted video or the disc could be dirty or scratched at the part where the video is and if that's the case then cleaning the disc might work. If that doesn't work then you might have to live with the problem. Are you sure there is a video at that spot?

Reply 3 of 6, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried watching it outside of the game with ESCAPEplay which is when I found out that the FMV file was missing for some reason.

So, I emailed Stella at Stella's Tomb Raider site asking her to make hers downloadable on her website. She said she hasn't had the time but she did make it downloadable from her reply. I tried putting it in all sorts of TR3 related files but with no luck.

Although now that I have the file I can watch it with ESCAPEplay, and that's good enough for me. 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TRIII plays the videos from the CD I beleive (I can have a look later), so you could make an iso of your CD (DON'T GIVE IT TO ANYONE) and replace the broken file with a good one. You could then either use a drive emulator to play, or burn a new copy for yourself which is repaired.

I have done similar with Tomb Raider II because my copy had some broken audio files.

Reply 5 of 6, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This might have something to do with NT compatibility. When Windows XP first came out, I tried TR3 on it and cutscenes would work very unreliably. Some cutscenes just wouldn't be displayed, exactly as you described. (Tomb Raider III wouldn't even start on Win 2000 btw.)

The situation has improved with latest service packs and patches, but I still think that sometimes it may occur that a cutscene just isn't displayed.

I don't think there's a fix or workaround for it, either. Trying a bunch of unofficial XP patches and the official TR3 patch went without any success for me. So if you are using XP (or any newer version of Windows), I think that might be the problem.

Unfortunately, with games that are not specifically designed for NT based Windows there may be major problems which you notice at once (e.g. the game doesn't even start) OR there may be slight errors which occur only randomly or intermittently. Some errors are known to affect gameplay (which can be very frustrating). That's why I always try to play 9x games under Windows 98 or Me in the first place.

locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 6 of 6, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Something surprising just happened. By pure chance, I found the TR3 file folder for the FMVs that I was not able to find before 😮 So I copied the file I was missing into it and sure enough it worked perfectly 😁