VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using my Xbox and Xbox 360 controllers under XP for quite some time now, and everything worked very well using the XBCD driver. Emulators and old games would recognize the joysticks, and force feedback was working, too. Now i've got a new machine and i'd like to use Vista x64 (SP2) on it. And this is where the trouble starts. (;

Is there anyone on this forum who has a working Vista x64 SP2/XBDC installation and is willing to answer a few questions and/or type up a rough guide? I 've already accumulated a lot of information from various sources, but couldn't find a recent step-by-step guide. I don't want to install stuff like crazy, too, because i probably have to fiddle with UAC/driver signature enforcement, and i don't want to make the system unstable by doing something wrong.

Reply 1 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ive just bought a 360 controller and it works in vista 32 (dont have 64)

vista64 drivers for 360 controller:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/0/f/ … ox360_64Eng.exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha! I got it working now.

Davros, the original MS drivers suck for a number of reasons, especially for older games and emulators. The MS drivers prefer being called by "Xinput", which is a new API replacing Dinput. Most of the newer games support Xinput. The MS drivers sort of emulate a subset of Dinput, but there are a number of annoying restrictions (like for example no rumble support). Another huge problem is that there is no easy way to customize buttons, deadzones, etc. with the MS drivers.

Just search for "xbcd" and have a look at the control panel. It's a gamers dream come true.

The drivers are now working perfectly well for me on Vista 64 SP2, both for the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 controllers. If i want to play new games which support Xinput, i can simply switch the driver on-the-fly.

Reply 4 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a look at this to understand the problem. Your profiler won't help you there, especially when you're using a 360 controller. Besides, i doubt very much that there's a better config app than the one from XBCD. I was trying to find out how flexible Logitech's and Saitek's software is, and they look very simple to me judging from what can be seen on the web (screenshots).

I'm a really happy camper with the XBCD/MS drivers strategy. The original Xbox and Xbox 360 controllers are still top-of-the-line hardware, and with the driver switch i get the best of both worlds with either Dinput or Xinput based games.

Reply 5 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The logitec profiler is very powerfull you can have it automatically assign different profiles to different games
you can assign buttons as shift buttons (not as in the shift key on the keyboard, but to double the amount of buttons eg set button1 as a shift button on a 16 button pad and button2 becomes button 17 if pressed when holding down button1 )
you can assign any axis as any other axis, you can record macros and assign them to a button complete with timeing information (eg: press down K for 10ms pause for 12ms press SHIFT A for 345ms) you can also set up cycle command so the first time you press button1 it executes macro1 the second time you press button1 it executes macro2 ect. Its pretty good

dddxea.jpg

Reply 6 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No offence, but did anyone ask for a screenshot bragging of a completely unrelated subject? That doesn't have anything to do with Xbox drivers for 64-bit Vista.

I know it's an old thread, but the XBCD Drivers have long had an x64 installer that works 100% for Vista and Win7 x64 - I use it myself. Not sure about the 360 controller, but you can just get the official ones from Windows Update anyway.

This is the one I use for my Xbox1 PowerWave controller with a USB plug whacked on the end, works great in Win7 x64. http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php?t32414.html

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

At least he had the good sense to save it as a JPEG-image weighing in at just over 100 KB, and not some horrible BMP or TIFF format at 6 MB. And he put it on ImageShack.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

<Sigh>. Just believe me when i say that there are things that can't be done with the "official" Xbox 360 controller driver. The driver has certain things "hardwired" that can't be changed by any application, no matter how nice it looks. Just read the Wikipedia entries on, for example, DInput/Xinput. For retro gaming (=older Windows games) and, to a certain extent, emulation, the MS driver just sucks.

Reply 10 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you had any luck with XBCD for 360 controllers under x64? I'm prety sure there are plenty, its just a matter of using a Driver Signature bypass such as ReadyDriver Plus (the only one that's 100% safe and working for all versions of Vista and 7)

I managed to find an x64 driver for my SIXAXIS, the profile tool aint as refined as XBCD but it did take me a bit of googling and forum crawling to find an original webpage/link/guide.

Regards,
CosmicDan