VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My roommate is trying to run one of his very old games on his brand new Dell Latitude D800 laptop. I have tried to help him, but it is beyond my limited experience. Thanks for the help.

Motherboard:
Not sure

Processor type and speed:
Intel Pentium M 1.6 MHz

Amount and type of RAM:
512 Mb DDR

Video board w/ RAM amount and type:
NVidia GeForce 4200 Go 4XAGP, 64 Mb DDR

Sound board:
Not sure

Operating system:
Win XP

Game name (and version, if applicable):
Conquest of the New World v1.0

Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does):
Crashes to desktop upon load; I have tried to use abandon loader with VDMSound 2.0.4, but to no avail.

Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.):
Crashes every time

Sound mode used:
VDMSound (is that what you were asking for?)

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
Software (I think)
1920x1200 pixels

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the graphics resolution is quite high for old games. Don't know if that's the problem but i would set it to 640x480 first and see if it still happends

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Pasty My roommate is trying to run one of his very old games on his brand new Dell Latitude D800 laptop.
Win XP
Conquest of the New World v1.0

Hrrrm.
DOS games seem to have a lower compatibility rate with Laptop displays.
XP has far poorer support for VESA than win9x.
Conquest of the New World has it's own problems...

At present, I've been unable to get CNW running in XP in any way.
Not a big surprise considering that Interplay flat-out says it can't be done. Even in Win9x, it's quite finicky.

showthread.php?threadid=1175&highlight=Conquest+New+World
showthread.php?threadid=1710&highlight=Conquest+New+World

In the future, this might be a candidate for DosBox, but right now it simply can't handle it. Right now, the only possibilities I see are:

1) Virtual PC. Not at all cheap, and not really meant for games. Time-limited demo available. Also needs a DOS or Win9x OS installed.

2) Setting up a dual-boot With Win9x. Always a pain after XP is already installed. Matters are made more complex when it involves Laptops.

BTW, if he ever gets it running he should patch it right away to fix the game's more serious bugs. Fan site here.

Reply 3 of 4, by Pasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thanks for all of the help, and the links to the other threads, they helped to clarify the problem for me. His resolution doesn't go below 800x600, and he says its not worth the investment. It would appear that he will have to do without.