VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Propane_Idol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried to get I-War running on my new machine (in short it's a 2.8ghz pentium with win xp home and an ati radeon 9200) but whenever I'm installing, just as it says it's adding things to the registry (icons, shortcuts etc) it comes up with a 'serious error' message and quits the install. The game is still on the hard drive though, but when i try to play it (and I've tried compatability toolkit 3 and vdmsound to try and get it to work) whenever I click on the .exe icon, it doesn't do anything. No intro, no loading screen, nothing. This also happened to me with Terminator: Skynet (although that didn't give any error message at the end of the install, the 'run' icon on the autoplay never became accessible and trying to run it from the .exe never helped either).

Was hoping someone would have some ideas, because I know the copy does work as it worked on my old PC which had XP Professional (P3 800 with Geforce 2 440 mx).

Next time I'm on I'll print out what the error message at install is, but don't really have the time at the minute.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Propane_Idol on 2003-09-04, 13:42. Edited 1 time in total.

This aggression will not stand

Reply 1 of 3, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm... This is not an OpenGlide problem yet, this should be in The Guide -> Windows forum. Once you have it working in Windows in software mode and wish to test 3dfx mode through OpenGlide, then it becomes an OpenGlide problem. Moderators, please move.

1. Run the install program using various Windows XP compatibility modes (right-click on the INSTALL.EXE or SETUP.EXE on the CD, choose the Compatibility Tab. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose "Windows 95". Click "OK" and then double-click the executable file. If that doesn't work, go back and choose "Windows 98 / Windows Me". Repeat. If that doesn't work, go back and choose "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)". Repeat. If that doesn't work, go back and choose "Windows 2000". Repeat.

2. Give us the error message, that will help.

3. Do you still have your old PC? Use an installation monitoring program like InCtrl 5, reinstall I-War on your old PC. Use results of install monitoring to install I-War MANUALLY on your new PC. And copy the game directory over to the new PC. Or something. It's worth a shot.

4. Post here as well:
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdis … php?forumid=137
Perhaps they've run into this before.

Some links you will want to check out:
Past VOGONS links on I-War. Apparently, it doesn't work with the latest version of OpenGlide.
showthread.php?threadid=735
showthread.php?threadid=1436

The only posting I've seen anywhere about successful execution of I-War under a Glide wrapper.
http://google.com/groups?selm=7i3crs%24ip7%24 … 0nnrp1.deja.com

Reply 2 of 3, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VDMSound will not help a Windows game like I-War. It's only for DOS games.

ACT 3.0 might, if you know how to use it.

Please read and/or add to this thread for Terminator Skynet. It's going to be hard to get going anyhow, just a warning...
showthread.php?threadid=1381

My guess: Your Windows is hosed somehow. No one else here has mentioned install problems like this.

Reply 3 of 3, by NickKal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀 I had similar problems, with a similar setup ( P4 2.4 with 9600 Pro). Try disabling hardware acceleration. From Catalyst Drivers, troubleshoot tab, hardware acceleration all way to the left. (None).
But I found another way without disabling anything, but I do not know If it's going to work to your machine. On the I-war Desktop Icon, Properties, and add this switch to the .exe line : -1024x768. This is the unsupported 1024x768 software mode. You get some 2d screens corrupted, but it looks very nice even in software mode.