VOGONS

Common searches

Star Trek Borg on Dos Box HELP!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by guitar74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I feel stupid, but a year ago I used Dos Box to get a Game Star Trek Borg Game for a PC To work and I managed it right off...! Can anyone hold my hand and tell me how to use Dos Box to get this game to work?? The name if the Game is Star Trek Borg and it was made for Windows 95, but I got a patch to work on Windows 98. I forgot a lot of old computer code and cannot get this to work. Any Help I do appericate it and remember I'm complete stupid now days on the old dos program. I know how to format and etc. Let me know!! Thanks, Chad 😕

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Star Trek Borg works fine in 200/XP/2003/Vista (32bit). (with the patch)

If you want to play the game in 64bit operating systems then you'll need to use Vmware 6+ with a 32bit Windows guest.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
guitar74 wrote:

I got the patch and it says it cannot load the dll library and stops..... So that is where I get all messed up at...... Where can I get a new copy of the patch at?

The first Google hit for <Star Trek Borg Windows Patch>:

The Game itself works fine, but installation requires a little work; first download the update patch (borgptch.zip) from www.simonsays.com and extract it to any directory. Next create a "Redist" -directory under the dir where u extracted the patch. copy NTDSetup.dll from your windowssystem32 -dir to the fresh created redist dir and rename it "DSETUP.DLL". Now run autorun.exe from the patch-dir. Enjoy.

Reply 7 of 14, by guitar74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the instructions I that are on the above reply from this and they did not work at all, so I'm looking for suggestions or some help. unless I did the instructions wrong, the instructions are kid of hard to follow, since it is not exact to what file to move to what with what folder to make where.. HELP

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't very complicated.

1. Insert Borg CD into CD drive.
2. Download patch.
3. Extract patch.
4. Run patch to install game.
5. Done.
6. Play game.

I think the game installs quicktime if not then install the quicktime version that comes on the CD.

If you are using 64bit Windows then you'll need to install the game in a VM.

Attachments

• Filename
    borgptch.zip
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Downloads
    1347 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

This isn't very complicated.

If the above instructions are any indication, it is teensy-weensy bit more complicated, but indeed not very complicated.

Let's try this again...

1. Download the patch.
2. Extract the patch to a folder on your desktop. Name it whatever you want.
3. Open the folder.
4. Inside the folder, create a new folder. This one has to be called "redist".
5. Open your C:\WINDOWS\SYTEM32 folder. (Click "Show All Files" if you need to.) Look for the file called NTDSetup.dll.

OR

Google for NTDSetup.dll and download it from wherever.
6. Copy NTDSetup.dll into the folder named "redist" that you created in Step 4.
7. Rename the new copy of NTDSetup.dll (the one in the "redist" folder) to DSETUP.dll.

Now do you get it!?

In the future please try to provide more details about exactly what you did and what error messages you received, especially if you don't understand what you're doing!

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's odd is I never had to do those steps and I've installed the game multiple times over multiple operating systems. Must be different versions or something or mabye a new DX version broke something.

Reply 13 of 14, by jinx2131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a problem with this game also. I am running XP. I have followed the instructions exactly but when the patch tries to install directx it aborts and says "Could not load the DLL library C:\...\PATCH\REDIST\DSETUP.DLL". I have tried it with the DSETUP.DLL that came with the patch and downloaded (and renamed) the other DLL but I end up with the same message. I have the file structure exactly how it states in this forum (and other places) but still problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Funny- I posted this EXACTLY one year from the previous discussions... Im a little behind it seems!

Last edited by jinx2131 on 2010-07-17, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.