VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eekoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know a way to make this game run in WinXP? It goes to a loading screen, and then says that it couldn't create sound buffer. What could that mean.

Oh. This game is the one which Rage Software released in 1997 (I think at least it was back then). And as Rage has been out of business for a while, there's no support coming from their side.

And my machine: (as if it really mattered)

AMD AXP 1700+ (1466MHz i think...)
Some cheap Soltek MB (SL-75DRV5 /w VIA-400A)
256MB 266DDR
GeForce 2 MX 32MB /w NVidia's Reference drivers
And most importantly: Sound Blaster Live! Value

Any help will be appreciated.

Eetu

Damn, damn, damnidi damn! WHY WON'T YOU WORK!

Reply 1 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eekoo Does anyone know a way to make this game run in WinXP?

I was under the understanding that it did work. At least one success story over at NT Compatible.

It goes to a loading screen, and then says that it couldn't create sound buffer. What could that mean.

Hrmm. DirectSound acceleration issue? Might try reducing hardware acceleration for your sound card.

Oh. This game is the one which Rage Software released in 1997 (I think at least it was back then). And as Rage has been out of business for a while, there's no support coming from their side.

Found this,

In October 2002, Rage was sold to newly founded Swordfish Studios for the stunning sum of 1 pound.

. So Rage is apparently "Swordfish Studios" now. *ugh*

And my machine: (as if it really mattered)

Don't presume it doesn't. This may very well be a SB Live issue. Will try to find my CD and test this. BTW, is this the OEM release or the boxed (full) version?

Reply 2 of 3, by eekoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I was under the understanding that it did work. At least one success story over at NT Compatible.

Hrmm. DirectSound acceleration issue? Might try reducing hardware acceleration for your sound card.

Any way to use QFixApp to reduce it?

Found this, . So Rage is apparently "Swordfish Studios" now. *ugh*

Don't presume it doesn't. This may very well be a SB Live issue. Will try to find my CD and test this. BTW, is this the OEM release or the boxed (full) version?

I don't know which version it is. I bought it from a huge retailer without a box in plastic wrapping. As there's no box, it seems this is OEM, but as it was sold seperately, it tells otherwise. It should be full version, even as I paid as much for it as Swordfish paid for Rage. 😜 Anyway, I believed my soundcard as an issue as well. The drivers are the same you got with Win XP CD. And I haven't found any better (supported) drivers for it. Also my modem says: "Don't download those hacked Audigy 2 drivers or you'll be sorry!".

Thanks for your help.

Edit:
Disabling hardware acceleration to play worked. Is there any way to make it automatic for rhe game, as it is quite annoying to do this every time I want to play it.

Last edited by eekoo on 2003-09-08, 16:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Damn, damn, damnidi damn! WHY WON'T YOU WORK!

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eekoo Any way to use QFixApp to reduce it?

Maybe. I have no actual experience with QFix. Perhaps others...

I don't know which version it is. I bought it from a huge retailer without a box in plastic wrapping. As there's no box, it seems this is OEM, but as it was sold seperately, it tells otherwise. It should be full version,

Well, if it's OEM it will either have OEM on the CD or will display very "non-standard" graphics on the CD (like the logo for a Video card, etc...).

Also, the OEM version is missing about half of the final game. There's a tactical "overhead view" (looking straight down) game that is in the final version, missing from the OEM.

If it's OEM, it may need this patch.

Disabling hardware acceleration to play worked. Is there any way to make it automatic for rhe game, as it is quite annoying to do this every time I want to play it.

Don't know...see my response about QFix above...