Outlaws (LucasArts) under Vista

Topic actions

Reply 24 of 37, by alphanox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For future reference.

If you experience NO MUSIC in-game:

1. Make sure you mounted the Outlaws CD.
2. If you have a physical drive and virtual drive, the game is probably only trying to access the physical drive. Go to Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Computer Management >> Storage Management.
3. Remove the drive letter from the physical drive and assign that letter to the virtual drive.
4. Enjoy the great music!

Reply 25 of 37, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll also add that I found it necessary to mount a bin/cue image. A regular iso didn't play music even with the virtual drive the first lettered CD drive. YMMV.

Awesome game and soundtrack!

Reply 26 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@alphanox, why bring up using an image when there was no mention of anyone using one? Pirated software is not supported here.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 28 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which is why I did not address it at you. Yes, sometimes an image is the best solution or even just for convenience, but to come from out of the blue on a first post, suddenly bringing up images when this thread had nothing to do with images and the audio problem had already been solved smelled a little too much like abandonware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 29 of 37, by celtdric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for the tips in getting this great gem of a game running once again. After many an hour of forum fishing, I've compiled several tips together in order to get Outlaws up and running (at least on my machine). First off, this is for running in glide, as my pc has serious issues with Direct3d in-game, so the windows 7 installer, which does not include options for glide, was not an option for me..Here's what I did....

1. Install Outlaws normally in a previous windows on a virtual machine, then patch up-to-date. Anything xp or earlier of course. I used VMware player, it's free and simple to use.
2. Copy over to your host pc (w/VMware, just drag/drop...keepin' it simple)
3. Create a batch file so as to launch the game without the funky, tie-dye lookin' color scheme going on. Directions for that on a previous post in this thread.
4. Game should be playable now, but if you have direct3d issues like me, then you need a glide wrapper. I've seen several suggestions in this thread, though I used nglide, which could be found here http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17322

That should do it. Glide only runs in 640x480, but it's full screen, and smoothed out so as not to look like a pixel paradise.. and if you're using a classic 4:3 monitor, it looks just like it did back in '97..

Reply 30 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check nGlide's settings. It allows you to force resolutions higher than 640x480.

If anyone's trying to run this in Windows 8: Use DXGL as a wrapper for the menus (annoying games uses DirectDraw for menus regardless of what the game render is). Probably preferable to Windows 7 users too. Killing explorer to launch a game is an annoyance.

Reply 31 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I updated my installer. I recreated the launcher to redirect it to an app that will kill explorer before launching the game and restart it when you quit the game. It does not include a wrapper, but that is easy enough to do after the fact. If there is some kind of consensus as to the best one I can add it to the installer, but I don't want to spend too much more time on it.

http://sierrahelp.com/DL/OutlawsSetup.exe.php

Reply 32 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the most important thing would be to add 64-bit patch installers. The patches are all 16-bit applications, so even with your installer you have to use a VM to install the patches if you want 3dfx, direct3d support or the new missions included.

Reply 35 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patches are why it is over 5MB in size. I looked into removing the CD check for CD-less play, but the only thing I could find for version 2.0.1 screws single player mode. Note that this is not thoroughly tested, so if there are issues with the installer itself, let me know.

Reply 36 of 37, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

I recreated the launcher to redirect it to an app that will kill explorer before launching the game and restart it when you quit the game. It does not include a wrapper, but that is easy enough to do after the fact. If there is some kind of consensus as to the best one I can add it to the installer, ...

Does adding the TimeDateStamp from the executable IMAGE_NT_HEADER to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility" not correct the "tie-dye colors" for this game?

Reply 37 of 37, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't add such an entry. I only duplicated the original installer and patches. Beyond that, there is the replacement Outlaws launcher I wrote and and a program, "OLRUN.EXE" that I wrote to kill Explorer before starting the game and restart Explorer after the game exits. This seems to fix the color problems, at least on my machine.

I am not that familiar with this game, so I am open to suggestions to improve the installer.