VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I know you've probably heard about problems with this game enough times, but here's something slightly new.

I've got the 1.05 and 2000/XP patch and am running Windows XP Pro. Back when I had my dual-core Athlon X2 4400 I had no problems running CMR1, except that the title screen and mechanic screen were rather juddery and slow, albeit bearable.

I've now upgraded to a quad-core Athlon Phenom II and tried to run the game again. While the game technically still runs fine, it takes about 20 minutes to actually get there as the title screen and mechanic screens are just painfully and unusuably slow. I had a feeling it was to do with the cores, but setting the affinity of the game to single-core made no difference.

Edit: I was just about to send this off when I found the cause - DirectDraw. The problem is that I cannot disable DirectDraw without disabling Direct3D and I'd like to play the game with accelerated graphics. ForceDirectDrawEmulation in ACT 5.5 does not have an effect. Any ideas anyone?

Edit 2: Correction, ForceDirectDrawEmulation does work on the title screen, but then also shuts off Direct3D acceleration. Grrrr.