VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've been digging around to find a way to change the FID (the CPU multiplier ID) of a Phenom II X4 920 processor on demand in XP Pro. Before you ask what this might have to do with running old Windows games, I have a number of games that are far too fast (Resident Evil) and some that do not work without slowing the CPU down (Delta Force - patched version works but is so buggy that I need to run 1.00.02).

Absolutely no slowdown utilities work. WinThrottle does not work on a Phenom II (brings the computer to a complete freeze) and all others do what they have always done for me since I had my Athlon 1800 - cause jerkiness in games but otherwise do nothing (including CPUKiller).

I have been able to change the FID to x4 (core speed of 0.8GHz, default is x14, which gives a core speed of 2.8GHz) in the BIOS and this works beautifully. Delta Force 1.00.02 runs fine and Resident Evil runs at a reasonable speed. However, rebooting and modifying the BIOS just to get some slowdown is a spectacular pain in the ass, and I know that it is possible to modify the p-states of Cool 'N' Quiet manually using K10Stat to get the desired FID - but I just cannot get my head around that program.

Anyone got any other solutions? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, depending on the chipset you hve you might be able to use AMD overdrive....

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold