VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I recently tried playing Fallout 1 (Windows Version) or 2 on my Windows XP machine, I noticed that the background music would "skip". Although not the easiest thing to describe, instead of the background music playing smoothly, it would seemingly skip from different points in the track (these games do not use CD audio.) Also, the death scene's voice would not play (I'm sure Ron Perlman would be annoyed).

In order to fix the problem, I ran dxdiag and set the sound acceleration to "None" or "Basic". "Standard" or "Full" acceleration would cause the problem. The sound card I was using at the time utilized the Yamaha YMF-724 chip.

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't have that issue when I tried playing recently, but I did experience the screen randomly turning black and only repainting what was under the cursor. I finally found some french utility that you can leave running in the background to prevent it, but I don't remember where I got it.

There's also a hack to make it use D3D9 instead of DirectDraw, but it ran too slow even on a Intel Core Duo 2.4GHz system with dual nVidia 8700GT SLI cards: http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

Reply 3 of 4, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been messing around with Fallout 1+2 on my old P-III system running Windows 98se and it works perfectly using a Yamaha YMF724 based PCI sound card (YMF724E-V). I am pretty sure it's your XP Yamaha drivers that are the problem as i know Fallout 1+2 also run fine with Windows XP.... so i would try changing the drivers 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I have been messing around with Fallout 1+2 on my old P-III system running Windows 98se and it works perfectly using a Yamaha YMF724 based PCI sound card (YMF724E-V). I am pretty sure it's your XP Yamaha drivers that are the problem as i know Fallout 1+2 also run fine with Windows XP.... so i would try changing the drivers 😀

Ah, I could do that, but I don't want to. The drivers I am currently using are the default drivers Win XP installs. They only allow me to use the OPL3 core for midi. If I update the drivers, then I will only be able to select its XG midi. Since I have access to XG midi by an external module, I don't want to update the drivers. Hence the need for this solution.