VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Modulus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Startopia to work in Vista x64.
Just plain installing it leads to a crash

I've then tried both Virtual PC and VirtualBox with a XP install, and neither of those worked as well.
It loads up just to the point right before it renders the 3d menu and then crashes out.

Anyone have any ideas? I would love to get it to work on this system

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by Modulus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking into it more it looks like Startopia uses Direct3D 7, and VirtualBox doesn't currently support that for windows.
So I tried to install Ubuntu in VirtualBox, and after fooling with it and installing Wine I got the game to start, but then the 3d menus and text don't show up at all, and it runs very slow.

The only other option it seems like is to do a dual boot, which I don't want to fool with on this machine.

Hopefully sometime in the future VirtualBox will mature a little more do be able to run older directX games.

Reply 2 of 2, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm i'm playing a lot of "older" Windows games on Vista x64, and most of them work. I don't know this particular game, though. You could try installing the game in VMWare (which has support for 3D acceleration with a XP guest), and copying the game files and registry entries to Vista after the install. You could also try the various compatibility modes to run the setup program in Vista, as well as trying to run the setup in admin mode.