VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am wondering, is it possible that a game might run under windows on some hardware but not others? I mean, it could run on both but may seemingly inexplicably crash occasionally on one set of hardware but not on a different setr? Crashing in this case would not be bsod, but simply disappearing - ie. being shut down by windows. And different hardware means say athlon + 6600 versus p3 + mx440.

Could some games be sensitive to the processor? Athlon vs Pentium 3? Or is that impossible? Wouldn't windows fix any processor bugs?

What about dx versions... could some games need old graphics hardware and dx versions, and/or drivers? I know there was an issue with AvP needing older drivers on 6x00 series cards, but that caused the game to not run at all rather than crash out occasionally.

Trying to play a game I once played on a p3+mx440, that wont run right on any hardware I seem to have, so searching for generic clues...

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There are so many different games from many different eras running on very different hardware... There is no generic rule why games crash. It could be different DX version, drivers version, processor and and and... It's much easier to find hints why a specific game fails...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under 98 and 2000, this particular game [crappy old Hellboy game by Cryo] just disappears when it crashes, on anything I have tried it on, except the original system I used. There are particular events that trigger the crashes, but only 99% of the time.

I was going to try and rebuild the p3 system I had it on 5+ years ago, but as a last resort I thought I'd try it with XP. Crashed as usual but gave a long-winded error report this time, couldn't make much sense of it as it seemed to list hundreds of files [I'm used to things saying "error in dx3.dl" or "glide2 not found" or some such]. However, it made me try it in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Wow. It's crashed once or twice since [not the usual places] but it's a buggy game anyhow and I've now got further than ever before and it's still playable [it used to get to one of several points and then refuse to get any further]. So I reckon the problem is solved.

All a bit beyond me as to why it should now work, but that doesn't really matter unless it starts failing again.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can say with certainty that, at least in the past, there have been programs that have required patching before they could run on an AMD machine without crashing. But this was back in the K6/K7 era.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are games from not so long ago that were not programmed with the last few years' worth of increased processor speed in mind.