VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Orpheo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Redguard using OpenGLide (version 😎, and VDMSound (latest version, with the patch and VDM Launcher)

When I run the game, I get the following message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
Redguard Game
An Application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

"Close" and "Ignore" are the options available, and both cause the program to close.

Here are my system specs:

P4 2.8ghz
512mb ram
GF4 4200
Soundblaster Live
Windows XP Home

I have VDMSound set for General Midi and Soundblaster 16 emulation.

I looked for a thread about this, but I couldn't find one with this specific problem. Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Orpheo I'm trying to run Redguard using OpenGLide (version 😎, and VDMSound

As I understand it, the 3dfx/Glide version of Redguard is actually a DOS (not Windows) program. This is at least true for the demo. If so, OpenGlide will not work with it as it is a Windows Glide emulator.

If, however, you were actually working with a Windows executable, you wouldn't be using it with VDMSound.

Basically, if you want to run this in Windows XP, you'll need to use GliDOS.

Reply 4 of 4, by Orpheo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GliDOS doesn't work either. I figured it out from a Usenet post; the game requires a FATS partition on the hard drive. My drive is all NTFS. Repartitioning the drive is further than I'm willing to go to get this to work, so unfortunately it looks like I won't be playing Redguard after all. 🙁

Thanks for the reply.