Common searches

Radeon cards and old games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I'd really appreciate. On my 8800GTX The mega stutters starts on MDK right when you enter the practice room (with a glass in front of you). Be sure to get the Direct 3D patch. Motorhead will start dropping the fps little by little until you finish the race. On the next race it will start at full speed and will do the same thing again. Same thing happens if I use an older Geforce card with Forceware drivers newer than 94.24.

Reply 21 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok here's my report. I tested with my Core 2 Quad desktop with a Radeon 4670, in XP.

I played both games for about 20 mins.

MDK - no probs. D3D worked fine.
Motorhead - absolutely perfect with buttery smooth constant 60 fps at 1920x1200.

😀

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-10-09, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 31, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

MDK - no probs. D3D worked fine.
Motorhead - absolutely perfect with buttery smooth constant 60 fps at 1920x1200.

How about FSAA? I still remember my old 9600 could not do FSAA for European Air War (an old game) but did it perfectly on Return to Castle Wolfenstein (a newer game).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 27 of 31, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

sorry I didn't test it with forced AA. You are right though that it's hit and miss. AA frequently works in old games tho.

Ah, I remember now; DOSFreak posted this link about a year ago. Apparently, not all games can work with MSAA --and Radeons have only MSAA. GeForces, on the other hand, have both MSAA and the "more backward compatible" OSAA.

Too bad, Radeons seem to have better IQ than GeForces, and when running old games, you don't have to worry about frame rate too much that you can crank up IQ as high as your hardware allows.

While we're at it, has anyone tried Radeon 5xxxx series on Windows XP?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 29 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon 9250 and older only have supersample AA. No MSAA. But yes Radeon 9500 thru 4890 only allow you to enable MSAA.

And actually, GF3/4 will give you better image quality than the Radeon/7500/8500. The GF3/4 have superior texture filtering and AA methods.

Reply 30 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it weren't for the drivers, I would get a Geforce 7950GT and use it in paralell with my 8800GTX. Unfortunately they must share the same drivers (and the same bugs as well).