VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since a while ago I've been playing Need for Speed: Road Challenge in Direct3D. Back then I had an old P4 machine. The trouble was that the game started lagging. Well, I blamed the computer; It randomly BSOD, the graphics card was broken (color artifacts) and lagged like crap on other games, like NFS: Most Wanted. Finally my parents let me buy a new one, with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS250 1GB
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 @ 800 Mhz(?)
HDD: 500 GB SATA(?)
Pretty decent, eh?
So, I install Windows XP home, and update it to SP3.
I've installed games such as Blockland Retail & Rigs of Rods, and they run great. But when I run NFS: Road Challenged in D3D mode, it lags! Of course I run it at maximum settings, it's a brand new rig! This means the problem must be software oriented. Anyone know how to fix this?

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Things to try:
- alt+tab out of the game and use the task manager to set the process affinity to a single CPU core
- toggle vsync in your nvidia driver options
- disable SLI (if you're using it) in your nvidia driver options
- upgrade or downgrade your video drivers
- run in a compatibility mode

Reply 2 of 7, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I'll try that when I come home. I'd rather not downgrade drivers, since I play other games than NFS 4.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, each suggestion is an independent thing to try, and it's possible that none of them may work.

Edit: I also see that there is a "Need for Speed IV: High Stakes 4.50" patch at http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Reply 4 of 7, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an EA Classics release FYI. Does the patch change anything, like menu language? I have the swedish version.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 6 of 7, by JWalter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,
I love gaming and Need For Speed is one of my favorites by EA. I also faced a problem somewhat similar to Svenne. I think I have the solution now thanks to HunterZ. I would appreciate it if you share such latest patches for other games as well.

R4games

Reply 7 of 7, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much! It seems to be working now. I have only tested it in single-player mode with no opponents, but it should work.