VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ron_Lugge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how to get the windows version of Master of Orion II working under windows 7? Alas, the CD I have is the later, pre-patched 'DOS only' version so 'dosbox' is not a valid answer.

Edit:

Forgot the details!

I've got graphics corruption and missing sound effects. I managed to get the game 'running' by copying the CD to the HD and using the built-in compatability features (windows XP SP 2, 256 colors, 640x480 resolution, and admin) but I can't get rid of the graphics corruption!

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Reply 2 of 9, by Ron_Lugge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks; it's intensely frustrating not to be able to play one of my favorite games. I wish I could track down the DOS version, both because of the ease of use with DOSBOX and because of the 1.4 patch I just learned of.

Reply 5 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I'm confused.

MOO2 is one of the few games that comes in both a DOS and Windows 9x version. However, unlike other such games, both versions were not included same CD apparently (annoyingly).

I can't say that the Win9x version has been problematic for me. I've played it on a wide range of hardware over the years and it runs very fast on anything Pentium II or better. There are patches for it which solve a few issues, such as memory leaks that slow the game down as time goes by.

I know it works fine in XP but have never tried it in Vista or 7. That's why I suggest Virtual PC 2007 + Win98 or XP.

Reply 6 of 9, by Ron_Lugge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

I'm confused.

MOO2 is one of the few games that comes in both a DOS and Windows 9x version. However, unlike other such games, both versions were not included same CD apparently (annoyingly).

The original CD included both versions; there was a later re-release that included only a patched, windows version.

I can't say that the Win9x version has been problematic for me. I've played it on a wide range of hardware over the years and it runs very fast on anything Pentium II or better. There are patches for it which solve a few issues, such as memory leaks that slow the game down as time goes by.

I know it works fine in XP but have never tried it in Vista or 7. That's why I suggest Virtual PC 2007 + Win98 or XP.

By patches, do you mean the official 1.31 (I think) patch, or the unofficial 1.4 patch? If the latter, I could have sworn that was DOS only.

Anyway, than you for the suggestion of Virtual PC; the XP version can run the game. Now I just need to figure out how to make it use 'stretch' instead of 'center' settings; I'd really prefer to have the game full screen instead of a quarter or so of the screen.

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ron_Lugge wrote:

The original CD included both versions; there was a later re-release that included only a patched, windows version.

I have the original release. I guess I never looked for a DOS version on there.

And I've only used the official patch for it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Ron_Lugge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, well you're lucky. The DOS version has a lot going for it these days.

Still, even if it's not ideal at least I've got the windows version working now!

Edit: more or less working; I keep on running into new graphical errors that I have to close and restart to fix, and sometimes Ihave to restart the virtual machine because the program won't run.

Reply 9 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To solve missing sound I had re-enable S/PDIF output in sound options which I disabled because I only use HDMI. Probably means the game gets confused about which device to send audio to, so try disabling/enabling devices in sound options, regardless of if you use them or not.

For color corruption I right click the desktop and open the "screen resolution" window before launching the game, this should work for some other games too. If you don't want to do this each time try making a .bat file to kill explorer before starting the game and launching it again after the game stops running.

Alternatively, launching the game in DxWnd should solve both problems, but it will run less stable and not fullscreen (you can increase the window size to more than 640x480 though)