VOGONS

Common searches

Overseer DVD

Topic actions

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there. I'm having a lot of trouble getting Tex Murphy: Overseer to run, have been to various sites, and generally speaking am at a loss. Mostly because all the solutions I find are about problems that pop up within the game, whereas I can't even run the game.

Game: Overseer DVD
System: WinXP Pro SP2
Celeron CPU 2.40GHz
2GB RAM
AT Radeon HD 3600 Pro AGP

I have installed the game from F:\ to C:\Tex Murphy\Overseer. I have installed DVDExpress. I have applied the 1.04 patch. And after that, when I try to run the game (either in normal mode or Win95 compatibility) I get as far as a window telling me which processes are active. Once I get past that window (or, if I've previously disabled the window, as soon as I load the game), I just get a fatal error, of the uninformative sort: "OVERSEER.EXE has found a problem and will be shut down, please inform Miscrosoft about this problem".

I've tried all available advice, but all the advice boils down to "install DVDExpress and the patch", which I have, and then all the other tips have to do with in-game problems, such as a location in which the game locks up, or trouble after playing FMV sequences, or whatever. I can't get that far - I can't load the game at all.

Oh, my res is 1280x768. I tried conventional 640x480 at 256 colors, just in case, and got no change.

I recently laid my hands on all the Tex Murphy titles, and got every single game to run (Under a Killing Moon is the one that plays the jerkiest, but even that one runs surprisingly well)... except Overseer. Any help would be highly appreciated. If I left out any important information, please let me know.

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"I get as far as a window telling me which processes are active"

you mean taskmanager why would that pop up ?

ps: that program you install DVDExpress is that just dvd playing software ?
does it play dvd's ok ?

Reply 2 of 8, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not taskmanager, no. Probably because Overseer is a Win95 game, predating the way XP easily gives control of a lot of itself to the user, Overseer seems to run some sort of program, defined by a SENTRY.INI file, which lets me know of a few processes that I might want to turn off in order to run the game. Usually it's firefox and something else. Since stopping those processes didn't help me with the problem, I just clicked the "Do not display this window again" button. This is the only part of the game that I can run, which is akin to saying, I can't run the game at all.

DVDxpress pops up everywhere as software I *need* to install to play Overseer, so I did. As far as I can tell, it's pretty old software that allows you to play DVDs, nothing more. On a whim, I tried to copy all DLL files from DVDExpress to my Overseer folder, but predictably, nothing changed. It does read video DVDs well.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 3 of 8, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok - I have changed my graphics card recently, it didn't use to be the one I listed here (and I don't remember which one it was anyway). I'm now noticing that in DosBox I'm starting to have to change render modes. OpenGL and overlay mode, for instance, now crash Dosbox with the same uninformative error.

Too much of a coincidence, so I'm guessing the problems are related, and therefore can be traced to my graphic card.

I tried installing the newer drivers - 9.12, whereas mine are 9.08. But I couldn't get the new installation to "stick" - the installation ran, but nothing was ever installed. In the end I simply went back to the version that came in the CD shipped with the card.

I really don't want to mess with the drivers anymore. Question - is there any way, however hackish, to make a game use some other form of rendering, the way I can change between them in Dosbox?

Also, I did read that my problem with updating the drivers is relatively common to my type of graphic card, and that unnofficial solutions exist, but I'm always rather wary of those...

Incidently, it's particularly annoying that this new graphics card can play Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Legend and Torin's Passage (way new games, and way old games); I even found an XP patch for Phantasmagoria 2, which I thought was the find of the century; but I can't play Overseer. 😜 My older card at least ran these older games without all these issues.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 5 of 8, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

9.08, since trying to install 9.12 didn't "stick", as I described. But I'm not sure I follow you. I can, and do, change the output in Dosbox, but my problem now is with this Win program, in which I can't easily change the output (and is why I was asking for some other way, possibly hackish).

Or do you mean I can configure Catalyst so as to output as ddraw at all times? That would be extremely helpful, and would probably solve my problems. But how do I do that? I find nothing within Catalyst itself that might help me do that. Maybe it's somewhere else in my system? Do tell, it looks like the best solution.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 7 of 8, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well whatever the output mode, DOSBox shouldn't crash when starting. The problem with driver installation sounds peculiar, too.

redruM, the error message you're seeing is indeed very uninformative. I think it's just a notice about the game crashing, but who knows why it's crashing. The fact that you're seeing DOSBox crashes is a definitive pointer, though. If i were you i'd just use my old graphics card for testing. If the game works, the source of the error is clear.

Btw, i don't know much about that ATI card, but it seems to be way oversized for your system. I've used a Radeon X1650 Pro on my old P4 system, and the CPU was never able to really tax the graphics card, not even in the most demanding games. You Celeron is much, much, much slower than a "real" P4. Maybe you can give back your new Radeon and/or trade it for a different card - possibly even a working one (; .

There isn't a "magical switch" to make the graphics card use only specific "modes". It just doesn't work that way. The app/game will be using a certain API (Direct3D, DirectDraw, OpenGL, etc.) which will translate the request and give it to the graphics card driver, which in turn will draw pretty pixels. If the game/app insist on using OpenGL, for example, you're pretty much stuck with OpenGL.

Reply 8 of 8, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. Well, it *is* a pretty old system, indeed. So much so that at this point changing the processor would mean changing the motherboard and changing to yet another sort of graphic card - I think this is called "onboard", but really, I'm relatively clueless. Still, with this card I'm able to play Dreamfall, which with my previous card ran slowly enough to be unplayable (although, predictably, newer stuff like Tomb Raider Underworld and Broken Sword 4 are unplayably slow).

Anyway. I guess that means Overseer is out of bound with my current hardware. I shall have to mull it over. In the meantime, thank you for your help. It's great to always have one sure place to come to when I need help running old games. 😀

--Donnie Darko