VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Have followed the instuctions on how to install Win 3.1 Including the S3 drivers and SB16 on this forum with no errors, have also installed Quicktime in 3.1 as well seemingly error free(sample video plays fine with audio)

However i just cant seem to get Critical Path to run at all, on launch it gives me a MCI error relateing to unable to create a window.

Anyone here able to help as id realy like to get this running, as i did indeed pay for it off of ebay a week ago and have only now gotten around to attempting to install/run it.

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible it uses VFW (Video for Windows) which isn't included with Windows 3.1 and needs to be installed. Usually it's packaged with the games that need it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game uses Quicktime and not VFW.

Its pretty annoying as i have been following the win 3.1 install directions on this forum and the game specific guide video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2owgy_7ko and i still cant get it to work.

Reply 6 of 10, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get the same game working in 3.11 and having the same MCI error. I believe it's partly to do with the game installing its own little "qtw" subfolder in "critpath" (version 1.1 or something) and wanting to always use that, even if you install 2.12 over and over to Windows.

I'd also found the above YouTube guide, but even doing exactly the same, I get that MCI error the OP mentioned, time after time.

Reminds me why I've always hated QT with a passion, from Win3.11 to today!

Reply 8 of 10, by rolfkunst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just (after several months/years) managed to get Critical Path working within DosBox. How? Well I will explain it here:

Simply install QuickTime 2.12 on your freshly installed Windows 3.11 (of course after the S3 and Creative drivers) When that is done, install Critical Path. The installation complains about the installation of version 1.0 when there is allready a version 2.12 installed, just ignore it!

After installing Critical Path go to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory within DosBox. (or switch to your host and go to your folder which you mount into dosbox en go to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder) Scroll down untill you reach the letter "Q" copy all QuickTime related files (Starts mostly with qt) and paste them into the QTW folder in CRITPATH\QTW. Overwrite all the files, you don't need them anymore. When that is done, just start Critical Path from the shortcut en it works!! (When i shut the program down I got an error message, and I don't know if it does any harm to your installation.

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks. I'll try to remember to link from the windows 3.x guide to your post. Probably helpful in other quicktime games as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper