VOGONS

Common searches

Help with the 7th guest on XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this page saying something about a newer version of v32.exe as well as some additional sound drivers. Unfortunately the links point to the old Trilobyte site which doesn't exist any longer. I don't know if these are newer than the ones we have been talking about or not but I'll try to find out.

http://www.onthenet.com.au/~sct_tech/11thHour/speed.htm

Also, has anyone tried the latest version of Scitech Display Doctor with the 11th Hour? Maybe with an up to date univbe driver it might work.

Finally I was looking through the 11h CD and found some maps for Doom/Doom2 and Heretic that let you play a recreation of the Stauf mansion in those games. I can't believe I hadn't found that but I'm looking forward to trying it out 😀

Reply 22 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's the 2.42 patch:
http://www.dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&s … h242.zip&ref=ps

Here's some sort of Windows patch:
http://www.dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&s … hwin.zip&ref=ps

Here's another reference to the files you mentioned. http://www.mbnet.fi/pelihalli/pelit/index.asp?peli=1009

I'll ask a Finnish friend of mine to try and get the files for me. 😀

I haven't found an alternate download link for the sound drivers, so we may have to get them from that Finnish site I mentioned.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks to the Finnish webmaster of Mame.net (Hi Santeri!), I now have the filez.

Attachments

• Filename
    11thpla.zip
    File size
    224.72 KiB
    Downloads
    797 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the other...

Attachments

• Filename
    11thdri.zip
    File size
    188.47 KiB
    Downloads
    752 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 35, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Stiletto 😀

Tried them out and I thought for sure the game was going to start, but this time it crashed giving me the NTVDM error. I guess that playing it under 2000/XP is out of the question without using the DirectX patch, which would be fine if it didn't run so fast.

Back to the 7th Guest, I decided to try it using VDMSound instead of the DX patch, and surprisingly it worked. There was no CD audio so the opening music and some of the sounds in the game were missing (the same problem with Tomb Raider I think), but other than that it worked fine. I'll keep using the DirectX patch with it though since it runs at the proper speed unlike the other game.

Reply 26 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Banquo wrote:

Back to the 7th Guest, I decided to try it using VDMSound instead of the DX patch, and surprisingly it worked. There was no CD audio so the opening music and some of the sounds in the game were missing (the same problem with Tomb Raider I think), but other than that it worked fine. I'll keep using the DirectX patch with it though since it runs at the proper speed unlike the other game.

Hey, another reason for Vlad to install that GliDOS redbook code. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will SPEEDSET work on a DirectX game? There's a new version out. You could also try Moslo...

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, SPEEDSET is to fix audio speed issues (not computer speed issues) and Mo'Slo is a DOS program. Besides, all slowdown utilities do is eat up X cycles per clock cycle, which just makes the game jagged. The only one I know of for Windows is Turbo, but slowing down a computer enough to make that run at a proper speed would prevent Windows from working.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 29 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally posted by Banquo
I guess that playing it under 2000/XP is out of the question without using the DirectX patch, which would be fine if it didn't run so fast.

From what I hear, though, Colin, Mo'Slo 4BIZ works in Windows, as well as Bremze.

Read here to go over our info again:
showthread.php?threadid=44

And Speedset isn't just for audio problems. As you say here:
showthread.php?threadid=53

SPEEDSET allows both speeding-up and slowing-down of DOS applications. It also works with pretty much all DOS applications (as opposed to PITSET, which only worked with a limited number of games).

Hmmm... we should have an all-out Battle of the Slowdown utilities... in DOS/Win9x/ME/NT/2K/XP... on a variety of computers... and a variety of games with speed issues...

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose, but the ones that would probably work best (Mo'Slo 4BIZ) costs money.

I honestly didn't know that SPEEDSET worked to slow down the computer, too. That doesn't seem correct. Vlad?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows interpreter for The 7th Guest has speed issues as well, not to mention very weird flickering that I can imagine has something to do with paletting or, uh, something. In any case, it doesn't run very well. The sound in the FMV is off, and THOSE are the only things that run at a proper speed! The sound breaks and clicks, but at least it doesn't crash. Can't say that much about the DOS installer. (Had to manually copy over all the files that were in the install directory.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 32 of 35, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The T7G patch runs fine here with ASUS a7v266-e mb, 512K RAM, Audigy Gamer, AMD 1700+ XP processor, GeForce Ti200 vid card. Is the T7G patch the same thing as the Windows interpreter, or are they different?