VOGONS

Common searches

How do I fix Klingon Honor Guard?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After playing Unreal & the add-on, Clive Barker's Undying and other games based on the Unreal engine, I decided to try Klingon Honor Guard on my 1.8Ghz, Windows 98SE system with a GeForce4 mx440 card.

First, OpenGL support doesn't work at all. When I select it as the video driver, the game screen is shown on top of my Desktop and when I try to start the game, the screen is just completely black, although I can hear the game running.

Direct 3D works, however if I set the resolution to anything over 640x480, 16 bit mode, the mouse is so laggy that the game is unplayable. Even in 640x480, 32 bit mode, there's a very noticeable lag between moving the mouse and when the view moves. When it does move, it's fast. It's not as if the game is slow in general, it just doesn't respond to the mouse immediately. If I use 1024x768 (which is the resolution I used for Unreal and Undying), there's a full second delay between when you move the mouse and when the view moves.

Even at 640x480, it occasionally decides to lag for no apparent reason.

I've looked through the advanced options, but the manual fails to explain what any of them do (it doesn't even tell you to select something other than software rendering) and I have no idea what most of them are for. I know that changing anything other than the rendering type usually ends up with the game not working and me having to use safe mode to change the options back. Not to mention that the game is absolutely obsessed with switching to 320x240 mode. Every frigging time I change something in the advanced options, it changes the resolution back to 320x240!

How is it that Unreal works fine, but the games that came after it have even more problems on newer systems?

Can anyone tell me the magic settings to make this game play properly?

Reply 1 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using repy rather than editing my post so that this will show up as new...

I'm now about to uninstall/re-install the game for the third time because I changed something, somewhere and now I can't even play in 640x480x16 without severe lag! I've gone through all the options and I have no idea what I changed. Actually, I don't remember changing anything, but I must have because it was working before and now it's not.

Oh, did I mention that every time I try to change resolutions, I end up in windowed mode and when I select a full screen resolution, I just get a black screen. Then I have to toggle back to the desktop and back into the game and hope it fixes it. Also, when I try to access the advanced options, half the time I only get a black screen because the game runs something called "curtain" which hides the desktop until I kill it with the task manager.

Reply 2 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Unreal build used is actually a bit older than Unreal's first shipping build.

I find the most stability and performance by using Zeckensack's Glide wrapper and saying YES! to the "Do you have a 3dfx card?" and using that. UnrealEngine1 and Direct3D support is a joke, especially for early Unreal games.

Also, since Unrealengine1 games are stupid with CPU timing, try to favor SINGLE CORE cpus whenever possible.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

The Unreal build used is actually a bit older than Unreal's first shipping build.

I find the most stability and performance by using Zeckensack's Glide wrapper and saying YES! to the "Do you have a 3dfx card?" and using that. UnrealEngine1 and Direct3D support is a joke, especially for early Unreal games.

Also, since Unrealengine1 games are stupid with CPU timing, try to favor SINGLE CORE cpus whenever possible.

Thank you for the reply. I don't recall it ever asking me if I had a 3DFX card though. Or does it only ask you that if it detects the wrapper?

Also, how easy is it to uninstall this wrapper? I ask because I had previously copied the DgVoodoo files to my system directory so that programs could detect it automatically, but when I tried to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it would only use Glide and crashed every time I tried to start a mission. Once I deleted the files from my system dir, it let me select D3D (or OpenGL, I forget) and the game played perfectly.

I've been playing KHG in 640x480x16 and it works mostly ok in D3D mode, except when there's fire or steam on the screen. Then it becomes a slideshow.

Reply 6 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

wolfenstein doesnt use glide, that may explain your problem

The details are a little sketchy now since I played it a year or two ago, but when I installed RTCW, the game installed fine, the menus and everything worked. I'd watch the briefing movie for the first mission and then the game would crash every time it tried to start the mission. I don't remember what tipped me off, but while I was experimenting with the configuration, I saw something that indicated that it thought Glide was the only 3D API I had on my system. I then remembered that I had copied the DgVoodoo files to the Windows directory so that they would be available to all programs. I figured that would be better than putting them in each game's dir. Once I deleted the files, RTCW ran perfectly.

Davros wrote:

you should really try khg with Zeckensack's Glide wrapper as leileilol suggested

I will, I just haven't had the best luck with glide wrappers so far.

Recently, I tried running the 3DFX version of Carnivores using DgVoodoo and the game would just quit back to the desktop.

Miki Maus wrote:

If you haven't already, try applying latest v1.1 patch:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/unreal/khg/khg_v11.exe

Yup, already done that. I also tried searching the net for "mouse lag" and checking on the official support sites. Information on KHG is kind of scarce. For example, there are tons of sites that list the "summon" command and lists of items that can be summoned, but they all leave out the fact that you have to use "summon klingons.itemname". Even the Infogrames support site tells you that you shouldn't include the period, but it doesn't work without it.

No, I'm not using it to cheat really. I only use it to recharge the disruptor pistol between fights by summoning a new one. I can (and was) doing the same thing by simply waiting somewhere safe until it recharged, but that really slowed down the pace. This doesn't let me do anything I couldn't normally do in the game, it just cuts out the waiting. I did the same thing in Unreal where the upgraded pistol could take minutes to fully recharge. I know most people would just use a different weapon, but I like to conserve ammo. 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just an update...

I installed the Glide wrapper and switched to the 3DFX driver in the game. It runs much better now. I can use 1024x768 with no lag (normally). Particle effects still slow the game somewhat, but not as much as with D3D.

Not only that, the D3D driver wasn't drawing ladders! There were several spots were I was able to climb the wall, which didn't make any sense to me. Then I got stuck in a room with no way to get to the upper level. When I switched to the Glide driver, a ladder magically appeared, right where I needed it.

So not only does the D3D driver not work very well, it doesn't even work properly.

Thank you to all who replied. 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:

What driver version are you using for your Geforce4 mx440 graphics card?

I'm using 82.16, which was available at the XFXForce site at one point. I complained that there was a problem with installing it (NVUDisp.exe crashes) and right afterwards it disappeared from the site. As far as I know, that's the last official driver version that supports 98.

As for KHG, I was enjoying the game. Then I came to the level where you have 20 minutes to find the three switches and activate them. Great, a maze of a level full of locked doors, a sizeable number of enemies and no time to explore. I frigging HATE timed levels! There's a cheat to turn off the timer, but then nothing works. 😠

These levels might be fine for the berserker players who run through the whole level blasting everything in site, but I like to take my time and explore. It pisses me off that I'm now being asked to recklessly run through the level as fast as possible. Oh, I'm sure it can be done, once you fail the level a couple dozen times in order to memorize the layout and find where you have to go, but I generally prefer to play my way through a level once.

Now I'm faced with the frustration of having to replay the level multiple times until I can memorize the entire thing, or turn on GOD mode so that I can use the time to explore the level and not have to stop to deal with several dozen enemies along the way. Either way, it pretty much kills any enjoyment I might have gotten from this level.

Call me a wimp, but to me, timed levels rank right up there with having all your weapons taken away, or not being able to save during levels. They suck!

Reply 10 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I used a walkthrough to get through that damn timed level. Now I've noticed a new problem;

Half the videos don't play. I didn't get either the one for the success or failure of seperating the ship and I haven't gotten a bunch of the pre-mission briefings. Some play, some don't. Also, the game often crashes after playing a video.

I'm now on level 18, The Sisters, but the last briefing listed in the game menu is 17, The Warehouse. All the rest are listed though, even the ones that didn't play.

Reply 11 of 11, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank Kahless for the brave warriors in this thread. I bought a big box of KHG and was utterly crestfallen when I couldn't getting it running well at all. However, I have now installed the wrapper, and the v1.1 patch and the game runs like a dream on my Geforce4ti 4200.

I will see you all in Stovokor! Qapla`!