VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a way to get Windows to display 4:3 resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600 with the proper aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor, i.e. with black bars on the sides?

There's a way to do this with DOSBox, I'm sure, but I'm talking about Windows and full-screen DirectX Windows games.

There's no relevant option I can see in my Samsung LCD's OSD menu.

Reply 3 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Also check the controls on the monitor, too.

Jorpho wrote:

There's no relevant option I can see in my Samsung LCD's OSD menu.

DosFreak wrote:

Should be in your video card control panel.

I hadn't thought of that. It's an NVidia card.

Reply 4 of 17, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Should be in your video card control panel.

in this thread I had posted some links about this Fixed aspect ratio scaling/pillarboxing thing for nvidia and ati cards:

Distortion on 16:10 widescreen

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 5 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jorpho you have 4 options to choose from in your nVidia control panel:
1. scaling to stretch on whole screen done by gfx card
2. scaling to stretch on whole screen done by monitor
3. no scaling
4. and the one you want (i guess it is done by gfx card)

Reply 9 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have two computers hooked up to my LCD, and the way my furniture is laid out, I just can't have both of them close enough to the monitor.

Pretty much every DVI cable I've ever seen is the same length, so whatever length that is, that's how long my DVI cable is. 😉 It needs to be at least another foot or two longer.

Reply 11 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your linkless numbers mean nothing to me!

But this looks like it will fit the bill:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp … &seq=1&format=2

Clearly the major consumer retailers are including a significant markup on these.

Reply 13 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All right, I have wrestled the cables into place, and the problem is sort of solved:

robertmo wrote:
Jorpho you have 4 options to choose from in your nVidia control panel: 1. scaling to stretch on whole screen done by gfx card 2. […]
Show full quote

Jorpho you have 4 options to choose from in your nVidia control panel:
1. scaling to stretch on whole screen done by gfx card
2. scaling to stretch on whole screen done by monitor
3. no scaling
4. and the one you want (i guess it is done by gfx card)

It's actually gfx card/the one I want/monitor/no scaling, but whatever.

The problem now is that my other computer uses an ATI Radeon 7500, which doesn't actually have VGA-out. When I attach a DVI-to-VGA adapter and connect it to my monitor's VGA port, every resolution is stretched: 4:3 resolutions like 1024x768 are stretched horizontally to take up the whole monitor, and 16:9 resolutions like 1680x1050 are also stretched such that moving my mouse pointer to the left and right edges of the screen causes the display to scroll.

Where's the option I am looking for in the ATI drivers? I'm using Omega 3.8.252 (Catalyst 6.5), the last version to support the Radeon 7x series.

Reply 15 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(the adapter is not really an adapter - through dvi cable goes both signals old vga and new digital. adapters just connect to different pins of the cable, they don't adapt the signal)

for ati you also need a dvi cable so buy a monitor with two dvi in or a dvi swiching device (if such exist).

Reply 16 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

doesnt the monitor your using with the 7500 have dvi ?

It has a DVI port and a VGA port. For some reason the nVidia card, when hooked up to the VGA port, displays 1680x1050 without any problem (even though I can't get pillarboxing with 4:3 resolutions), but the 7500 does not.

for ati you also need a dvi cable so buy a monitor with two dvi in or a dvi swiching device (if such exist).

Gee, thanks. Somehow I don't think either of those can be purchased for 8 euros. 😜 Isn't there some way to make the Radeon behave?

Reply 17 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never mind, everything is working fine now. 😀

I decided to try removing the monitor from Device Manager and then re-installing the driver. At the same time I also took this little extension off the end of the VGA cable I was using, on the off-chance that it was interfering with proper detection of the monitor. (I was using the extension because trying to reach behind the monitor all the time to unplug the cable was getting on my nerves.)

So now my Radeon displays 1680x1050 while plugged into the monitor's VGA port, without any wacky scaling.