VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to set up a multiplayer game across TCP/IP on a LAN, between a 98 machine and an XP machine, running identical versions of AvP Gold. The XP machine never detects a game hosted on the 98 machine. The 98 machine detects a game hosted on the XP machine, but never manages to connect although there is no error message.

I can set up a Quake 1 game on the 98 box and the XP will connect to it. And I can set up an AvP Gold game on the XP box and a Windows 2000 box will join in.

Anyone have any ideas about why the 98 and XP boxes won't connect in AvP and what might be done to fix it? The XP box is faster [X2 5400+ compared to XP2000+ in the 98 box] so I wondered if this might be a latency issue given the XP box doesn't even find the 98-hosted game but the 98 will find an XP-hosted one. Yet the 2000 box is only a 1.8ghz...

Google hasn't thrown up anything useful yet.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only thing I can think of:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=428260&page=1

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to say that link was about IPX but my problem is with TCP/IP, but on trying IPX I've found that quake 1 won't even start on the 98 box unless I use -noipx, even though IPX is quite clearly installed. Whether that's related or a different problem I don't yet know.

There was a time my machines talked to each other and various multi-player games were set up and working... umpteen upgrades and various re-arrangements later an overhaul is clearly needed.

To cap it all I am finding the internet has a much shorter memory than I was expecting - so much stuff I used a few years seems to have disappeared. 😳

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you were hosting the game on the XP machine did you try disabling the XP firewall?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah a firewall problem was what I suspected at first. I'm using Zonealarm so I set it game mode which should let everything through. Also tried it with the trusted area on the "no security" level.

Edit: Was the firewall after all - although I'd disabled Zonealarm the Windows firewall was running. Thought I had disabled it when I installed Zonealarm.

The IPX problem looks like it was because file sharing was enabled on both netbios-over-ipx and ipx itself. Or at least, setting it only for netbios seemed to be what fixed it.

Thanks for the input anyhow.