VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game works OK in XP (via VMWare) but i can't get it to work in Win7 x64. I've tried all sorts of things - various compat settings, moving the "ubisoft" folder (which seems to contain the game's settings) around, etc. . No matter what i do, all i get after starting the game exe is the process running but no screen output whatsoever. Did anyone get this game to work in Vista x64/Win7 x64?

Reply 2 of 7, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have any machines running a 64 bit OS, so I can't help you on that. But I do have a question for you. What version of Rayman 2 do you have? I have the 10th Anniversary pack (Rayman 2, 3 and Arena) and have never had any problem in XP. So I'm curious on why you need to run Rayman 2 under VMWare.

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olemogamer wrote:

I don't have any machines running a 64 bit OS, so I can't help you on that. But I do have a question for you. What version of Rayman 2 do you have? I have the 10th Anniversary pack (Rayman 2, 3 and Arena) and have never had any problem in XP. So I'm curious on why you need to run Rayman 2 under VMWare.

No matter what i do, all i get after starting the game exe is the process running but no screen output whatsoever. Did anyone get this game to work in Vista x64/Win7 x64?

Demo works fine for me in Vista 32/64bit. Haven't tried it in Windows 7 yet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course i've already tried running the game via Glide, it doesn't work. Davros, that link wasn't helpful at all. Obsolete information and not useful because i'm trying to run the game on a modern OS, not XP.

olemogamer: i don't think the "version" of the game is the problem, but rather the OS i'm trying to run it on.

DosFreak: could you test the game in Win7 x64? It's interesting anyway that it works for you under Vista. I think i have an image of my old Vista installation somewhere, maybe i'll try running the game on it just to see if it works. It's a lot of effort for just one old game though (; .

My current "solution" is to play the PSX version with an emulator. It's amazing though how bad the PSX version looks compared to the PC one, even when using advanced rendering options. I'd rather play the game on the PC.

EDIT
DOSFreak: some questions about how you've played/tested the game in Vista: did you disable UAC for testing? Can you remember if you've used any compatibility options on the excutable? Do you happen to know where the game's config files (they are stored in "%windir%\UbiSoft" on XP) were located in Vista?

Reply 5 of 7, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

olemogamer: i don't think the "version" of the game is the problem, but rather the OS i'm trying to run it on.

Yes, I get that. But my question was why are you playing it in VMWare on XP. Won't it run any other way? Like I said, I don't have a problem playing Rayman 2 in XP.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

DosFreak: could you test the game in Win7 x64? It's interesting anyway that it works for you under Vista. I think i have an image of my old Vista installation somewhere, maybe i'll try running the game on it just to see if it works. It's a lot of effort for just one old game though (; .

EDIT
DOSFreak: some questions about how you've played/tested the game in Vista: did you disable UAC for testing? Can you remember if you've used any compatibility options on the excutable? Do you happen to know where the game's config files (they are stored in "%windir%\UbiSoft" on XP) were located in Vista?

Just tested it under 7 64bit with an Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS.

Works fine using D3D. Can't change the res higher than 640x480 in the game otherwise it will crash. You can set the res manually in the config file and that will work tho.

Never needed to use any compatibility settings.

If you run the game as Admin then the config files are dumped in \Windows\Ubisoft.

If run as User then they are dumped in the profile.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by noabody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't install Rayman 2 PC version from the original disc on Windows 7 64-bit. My system is ATI 790GX, Quad Core 2.6 Atlhon with virtualization, and 2Gig RAM.

I dual-boot XP 32-bit and it works fine from there. For fun I decided to try VMWare Player running XP 32-bit guest from the Windows 7 64-bit host. I was stunned to find that VMWare played it flawlessly.

It seems like many problems I had with games (Shadow Man, Area 51, etc.) were related to just my particular hardware setup. VMWare Emulation should conceivably provide a more consistent and therefore stable environment for gaming.

For measure I tried Project 64 EMU for the N64 version, nullDC for the Dreamcast version and ePSXe for the PS1 versions of the game. The Dreamcast version seemed best. I wasn't able to get PCSX2 to play the PS2 version (Rayman Revolution) without terrible slowdowns. The PS1 version played really well on a PSP and was the most different version - probably due to specific hardware limitations of that console. Rayman DS was the hardest to control and most difficult version due to the lack of an analog stick.