VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yttrical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I origionally had a huge post all set up and ready to send. But after typing out all my information I decided that I'm much farther along to making this (Under a Killing Moon) work on my Win98se Machine than I will probably ever get to having it work on my WinXP laptop. The only real problem I'm having with my Win98se machine is that the sound just won't work for vocals while under windows and neither vocals nor midi will work under "Dos mode" I've entered settings into my autoexec.bat file but haven't been able to get any kind of combination of settings to make any diffrence. Monster Sound even says it's suppose to have support for Dos even though others have said it doesn't work in various reviews. I guess the real question I'm asking is. Is there anyway to get dos under windows to accept my sound card (or really trick it into thinking I have a Sound Blaster card) I've looked for emulators but they only take me many steps back from where I already am.

I'm sorry. You have violated robot's rules of order and will be asked to leave the future immediantly.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. Welcome to this fine forums. If this is a windows game, it should have no problems with sound if your sound card has decent compatible Direct-X drivers, but who knows. If this is a DOS game, you shouldn't be posting here, heh, anyway, what have you tried? The rest of your hardware specs would come in handy, too.

EDIT: Oops! forgive me. Hadn't seen your profile. By the way, your video card must be an ATi Radeon, not "Radion". You mispelled it.

Reply 2 of 4, by Yttrical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, it was my mistake. I thought this section was for getting dos games to work in windows. Still I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a Monster Sound MX300 working as a Sound Blaster in an old dos game. Or would I have the alternative to use an emulator of sorts? VDMSound is written for NT Machines and even still I've already tried getting it to work for me. Also if we're able to make emulators for basicly every console out there, and the Apple IIe why is emulating dos so hard? I suppose it would have something to do with the fact that you wouldn't be using rom's but would have to fool the actual game.

Edit:
I've found this on the forum and I'm going to see if I can get this solution to work

http://www.vogons.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1865&highlight=Killing+moon]

Last edited by Yttrical on 2003-10-05, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry. You have violated robot's rules of order and will be asked to leave the future immediantly.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Yttrical I'm much farther along to making this (Under a Killing Moon) work on my Win98se Machine than I will probably ever get to having it work on my WinXP laptop. The only real problem I'm having with my Win98se machine is that the sound just won't work for vocals while under windows and neither vocals nor midi will work under "Dos mode"

You are between a rock and a hard place. DOS audio support for the MX300 is probably poor in DOS/Win9x, and even if it was good in XP, you would have enormous headaches running the game in general.

I was able to get it running in XP...barely.
Short of replacing your sound card with one that has "true" DOS support, there's not much I can suggest. Even then, finding a card with "real" DOS support is getting more and more difficult.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dayrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you using Diamond's drivers for Win98SE or the Vortex 2 reference drivers? If your not using the reference ones I'd give them a try, they can be downloaded from vortexofsound.com. The MX300 and all Vortex 2 sound cards work fine in real DOS and in a DOS box in Win98. You should have Wavetable MIDI in a DOS box but you will only have FM synth in real DOS mode. Hope this helps.